No Stereo From Factory

So I got a 91 bare bones model that the previous original owner slapped a radio in. That got ripped out and I decided to mess with it later when I pull all the interior out.

I thought about doing a sub and junk then said f it cause I don't need to spend the money on it. I'd like it to still sound nice though since I'm doing the work to start from scratch but I know nothing about audio.

I did some reading but that sucked so was wondering if anybody on here had some knowledge, comanche specific too. I've heard "comp" speakers have good bass and what not but don't know what sizes fit without butchering stuff. The door panels have already been hacked and the B pillars are bulged from the PO stuffing some tall speakers in there.

So here's what I have to start with: Pioneer head unit and door speakers stole from the xj for sale and I can solder junk. Also can install head units if thats considered a higher skill lol. Don't know if the 2 speakers are worth using but could use a better/bigger pair in the back? Also stole the factory under dash tweeters from the xj. They were covered in grinding dust.

"Comp" speakers? Are you referring to "Component" speakers? They are mid range speakers with a separate tweeter with a control box, no sub. They are the way to go for clear sound but need a separate sub to hear the whole range.

Some of the bigger manufactures make 2 and 3 way speakers that are pretty good. Right now I have some 5.25" kicker 2 ways in the doors and some Kenwood Excelon 4"x6"s in the rear panels. Sounds pretty good on a stock radio with no amp.

I think you're just wasting your time with the those speakers, you'll never get good sound from the stock XJ speakers. Either go with basic good quality 2 or 3 way speakers, or go with component sets off an amp and a head unit with at least 4 Pre-outs.

Their not stock their 2 pioneers that just fit in the doors. I'm assuming their nothing special. Or did u mean the tweeters? I just grabbed them while the dash was out would aftermarket make a difference? Also whats 2/3 way mean? Thanks

2 or 3 way speakers have the tweeters attached. The problem with them is that the sound waves from the mids and the tweeters will distort each other. Clearer sound comes from the speakers mounted in separate locations. Also, tweeters send high frequency sound waves in a shallow pattern, imagine around a 20-30 degree V and should be mounted aimed at the driver or passengers, most times the factory mounts them on the dash and the sound bounces off the windshield which can also distort and amplify the sound. Mid range woofers send them out in a much wider V and can be mounted down in the door panels. Sub Woofers send out low frequencies and send sound out in all directions regardless of which way they face...they are omnidirectional.

Here's some examples.

Two ways...http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DS60/Kicker-DS60.html?tp=95

x206DS60-o_front.jpeg

A component set...http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DS62/Kicker-DS6-2.html

x206DS62-F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Automotive systems are 4 ohms (impedance). Home audio systems are 8 ohms.

Would start with your Pioneer head unit. Don't need the scavenged tweeters.

If the door panels are cut already and don't see water, then use that space first. The holes are probably cut to fit either 4" or 5.25" round speakers. Easily measured.

You can find poly-coned speakers (instead of paper cones) for the doors if they may leak a little water.

If you like the sound, you're set. :rock on:

If you want more, you'll probably want to add a separate amplifier and larger pillar mount or 'behind the seat' speakers. You can add 6x9's in boxes like these... http://www.amazon.com/6x9-Truck-Style-Speaker-Enclosure/dp/B001DY6MC2

or go full out with speakers in the door and subwoofers behind the seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SWX251-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Watts/dp/B004HW6F9M

It's all about the money....ain't it always.... :D