94 Xj Ax15 Into 88 Mj

Found a 94 XJ with AX15 external slave in local PnP. If I get the trans and bell housing w/external slave, what else do I need? Flywheel? Clutch cover plate and disc? Is there a way to hook up 88 cable driven speedo on the 94 trans (94 electric drive speedo?). If not, will the 94 cluster work in the 88 MJ? Any way to check out the trans after I pull it from the XJ and before I pay for it?

If all the above is workable, the next problem is how to get it out of the XJ on large gravel w/out trans jack (if it's still there when I get back).

You MUST use your current flywheel. The HO flywheel will not worth with your Renix system.

Your current clutch components will work fine with the AX-15, however you're going to need the 74 CJ5 304 pilot bushing/bearing.

The cable driven sender will go into the 94's 231. (94 cluster wouldn't work in a Renix anyway)

You'll want to grab the trans crossmember and mount.

You can drop a transmission/transfer case a couple feet onto gravel and not hurt it. If it's too high look around. You're in a junk yard. Tire, seat cushion, floor mats, radiator, AC condenser, Anything to help absorb the shock. Usually the bell housing will be stuck to the block. Sometimes by placing your foot-feet against the tail shaft you can break it loose. Be careful. Sometimes when they break loose they drop right out. Not pleasant if it lands on your foot, hand, head. A rope or chain wrapped around the tail housing and out the under back of the car. Give it a good yank. Not necessary but I have found it helps to take a couple bolts with their heads cut off, or studs screwed into the block will help keep the input shaft from binding in the clutch when it starts tilting as it comes out. Also leave the cross member attached to the tran mount. The mount will help absorb shock and help keep the trans upright.

Thank you, gents. This forum is invaluable to me as I work through my MJ. I'm amazed at the amount of information that;s either already on here or available form other members.

Jeep Driver - good idea, plywood and a bottle jack.

Genovast - This is a 2 wheel drive trans but I guess the speedo change still works(?). Do you know if the pilot bushing available from a dealership? The crossmember was on my mental list, just forgot to add it to the post. Is the crossmember different? I could see that the mount looked different from the BA10 mount.

I'm assuming I should remove the shifter from inside the XJ before I unbolt the bell housing and crossmember, as well as disconnecting the line to the slave and the wires for the speedo. Anything else?

jimoshel - you wouldn't happen to know what size the bolts or studs are, would you? Does the 94 have those reverse Torx bolts at the top of the bellhousing? And - amen on the foot, hand or head!

I wouldn't bother with a dealer for the bushing. They're only a couple bucks and you should be able to find a parts store that has one.

Yes, the crossmember is different. The XJ/MJ only used two different crossmembers, One for the AX-4/5, BA 10/5, AW-4, and one for the AX-15 and NV3550.

I think I'll follow jimoshel's lead and put a couple of studs in place of two bellhousing bolts, unbolt the rest, put a jack under the crossmember, unbolt it, tie a rope around the tail shaft and go to the back of the XJ and pull that sucker out (possibly with the help of a kick or two to break it loose).

Thanks to all for the input!