Quick Disconnects Question

I have JKS quicker disconnects that I recently installed. I wasn't sure where to put the pins for when I disconnect the sway bar.

How does everyone store their sway bar while offroad? It almost looks easier to just pull the pins and the unbolt the bar completely.

The first time I went off road with the JKS links, I put the pins back in the lower mounts. It proved to be a bad idea since I lost one of the pins on the trail. Now the pins ride in the console. For the swaybar and links, I fold the links forward parallel to the swaybar and bungee both sides to the frame rails with small bungee cords up and out of the way. It works for me.

I fold the links forward parallel to the swaybar and bungee both sides to the frame rails with small bungee cords up and out of the way. It works for me.

X2.

After ripping the frame pins out of my TJ on my first trip down Black Bear pass years ago, I too went with the 'fold-n-bungee' method Mike mentioned. I decided to do the same thing on my 86 when I installed JKS discos as I could not find a suitable location for the pins.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I did the "fold-n-bungee" method this past weekend and it was the biggest pain in the world. I kept having to stop and reattach the cords. I even dropped one on the trail. If I can't find a better alternative, only four bolts holds the bar in place. I might just remove the whole thing and throw it in the bed while I wheel.

The Tera-Flex discos I have on the XJ came with a nylon strap with eyelets on each end. One end is screwed to the wheel well with a screw and a clip. When you disco, the bar swings up and the strap gets wrapped around the bar, the other eyelet clips in to the clip...the pins go in the console when not on the disco's.

I'll scan the instructions if I can find them. It's a good set-up. Never lost a strap or pin or disco yet. It'd be easy to make the same thing out of some nylon strap material and a trip to the hardware store.

My XJ initially had RE disconnects that came with pins that bolt to the inner fender. When you disconnect the link from the axle, you attach it to the pin. It worked great, but the overall design of the JKS disconnects are the best I've used.

I always carry a pack of nylon tip ties in my tool box. With the JKS disconnects, I just zip-tie them parallel to the sway bar. When done, I cut 'em off. It's easy...just don't litter on the trail.

My XJ initially had RE disconnects that came with pins that bolt to the inner fender. When you disconnect the link from the axle, you attach it to the pin. It worked great, but the overall design of the JKS disconnects are the best I've used.

I always carry a pack of nylon tip ties in my tool box. With the JKS disconnects, I just zip-tie them parallel to the sway bar. When done, I cut 'em off. It's easy...just don't litter on the trail.

What did you use the keep the swap bar from dropping down though?