If you had a rod knock, what would you do?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad's mechanic friend says that it is VERY common for these trucks to get a slight knock, and that it's just the wristpin and I should get easily another 100k out of it. :dunno:

So, I'm going to do my regular oil change, swap for 1qt Lucas, and go from there. Still thinking of doing an engine transplant (or sell it for a Cummins, pending on a long-shot move to Montana), but that will wait 'til I pay off the rest of my loan and get a good lift in here.

My motor had about 200k on it with lots of blow by. One summer the heater valve cracked during a 90+ heat wave . Dumped all the antifreeze and i drove it home in rush hour blowing steam. Decided to finnish it off and stuck the garden hose in. Did'nt crack so i replaced the valve and drove it another two years. Last year i did not change the oil till it started banging (worse than knocking). I had a low mile 99 4.0 and spare rebuilt 0330 head in my friends garage for 3 years . The motor was free so i did'nt care about the old one that would always run hot and rattle it's valves at hi rpm's. Yella Terra rockers, new header , 3 core rad , bored TB and Hesco spacer , etc, etc. Now all is good . I think a good used 4.0 is the way to go. Stroker would be better though. But i have 4 DD's so always something to work on or available for driving.