Hooking up a aftermarkets trans cooler. How do I hook it up?

SO I pickets up a flex a lite trans cooler and B&M trans temp gauge, so now my question is whats the best way to hook it up? Should I hook it up inline with the radiator or should I bypass the radiator completely? I am also hooking up a brand new cfs 3 row all metal radiator and a HD fan clutch at the same time.

The vehicle is a 88 Comanche with the 4.0, 4x4, non ac

here is the cooler. It the cooler to big and overkill?

I installed a new three row radiator and a trans cooler as well not too long ago. The idea bechind the trans cooler was to reduce the load on the radiator, so I routed the line from the tranmission to the cooler first, then sent it on to the radiator. It went from the radiator back to transmission.

I've seen folks who have bypassed the radiator completely with a separate trans cooler, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you will use the MJ to tow trailers.

The factory tranny coolers are plumbed in series with the return line after leaving the built-in radiator cooler, so that's how I did mine. This hookup works well in warmer climates, but may cause slower open-to-closed loop transition times in the cold winters up north because the engine takes longer to warm up.

The factory tranny coolers are plumbed in series with the return line after leaving the built-in radiator cooler, so that's how I did mine. This hookup works well in warmer climates, but may cause slower open-to-closed loop transition times in the cold winters up north because the engine takes longer to warm up.

Well shoot! I guess I need to change mine! I never looked at the FSM - I just ASSumed that the hot fluid should go the other way. :thwak:

Hornbrod seriously knows his stuff - do it his way

It the cooler to big and overkill?

It's big!

I looked at a trans cooler that Auto Zone in my area keeps in stock, and it was tiny -- about 2-1/2 inches high and I'd guess not more than 6 inches long. It's a 2-row, and smaller than OEM. The OEM cooler in my wife's XJ is a 4-row (yours is a 6-row), about 4 or maybe 5 inches high and 15 inches long. I don't see much need to go bigger than that, considering that 90% or more of the XJs and MJs ever built with automatics had NO external tranny cooler.

It the cooler to big and overkill?

It's big!

I looked at a trans cooler that Auto Zone in my area keeps in stock, and it was tiny -- about 2-1/2 inches high and I'd guess not more than 6 inches long. It's a 2-row, and smaller than OEM. The OEM cooler in my wife's XJ is a 4-row (yours is a 6-row), about 4 or maybe 5 inches high and 15 inches long. I don't see much need to go bigger than that, considering that 90% or more of the XJs and MJs ever built with automatics had NO external tranny cooler.

mine is 20 inches X 8 inches. I think I went over board but I just hope it doesnt cool it to much.....