4x2 to 4x4 swap questions

Gathering information for upcoming (before snow) swap, and have a few comanche specific concerns..

basic swap plan

86 Comanche 2.5 5spd 4x2 to receive parts from 84 Cherokee 2.5 auto 4x4. Hoping for 4.56 gears, but would be ok with 4.10s

Not wanting an auto, and actually happy (for now) with the 2.5, what trans/transfer case should I look for? Wranger has to be clocked (new to this, guessing that means have it repositioned on the trans) but have a line on one and hoping it could work without too much headache-nuts and bolts not a problem , but limited fabrication tools here will slow down too much custom work. If not, can I swap/adapt the t-case off the auto trans to my manual somehow? Or just search for a manual/t case combo?

Rear driveshaft-same as 4.0? There is a 88 4.0 auto 4x4 Comanche in the local pick n pull, but I don't want to have to buy it to see if it works, and reading about spline counts is making me dizzy

Any other advise? I presume the front should be pretty straightforward, I have acquired 96 T Bird springs to get the fenders off the tires (31x10.5 on 15x8 steels 3.75 in backspace) and will pick up rear shackles (lowered chevy type) when the conversion takes place. Long(er) short arms would be nice, but not sure if in the budget for now.

Need this thing for work every day, and hoping to break it down so I can do what I can over a weekend, one weekend per major accembly (i.e.-front axle, trans/case, etc)

Going to look at the parts Cherokee tonight, starting swapping in a couple week(end)s from now

any help or ideas apprciated :cheers:

I did a similiar swap about a year ago. Used a '85 XJ, 2.5, 5 spd, 4wd for donor into a '86 MJ, 2.5,4sp, 2wd donee. Only problem was rear drive shaft. Everything else was unbolt, move over, bolt back up. I have a stack of drive shafts and I went thru them and was fortunate enough to find a close fit. Had to swap the spline end at the U Joint because of spline count. U joints were identical Unfortunately have no idea what it came out of. Really recommend getting the complete XJ, if possible, over chasing parts.. Use what you need, Sell the rest. You just can't beat the convenience of having the two sitting side by side when swapping parts. :wrench:

That is the plan, buying the whole Cherokee and having both of em sitting there and parts swap-but it is automatic....the only curveball

also, I get fenders, seats, power steering pump, actual gauges, etc etc-the only way to go if you have the room!

parts for sale soon ;)

wrangler parts will work ok. you might need to massage the floor with a hammer. I have TJ stuff in mine and there's no contact at all. You'll want to use your current AX-5 shifter handle.

for a rear d-shaft, you can just have your current one shortened. :thumbsup:

Massaging wth BFH is one of my specialties...

bought the parts car last night-tons of good stuff for $300

looks like 4:10 ratios, but forgot that the wheel had to be turned 2x-kept spinning wheel one time and thinking "it can't be a 2 to 1"-will pull rear cover when I get it home

thanks for the replies!