Underhood Insulation... Any Difference?

Picked up one of these yesterday, to put on underneath the hood. It should cover up some of the shame and grime lurking underneath. Honestly, I really should take the hood off and give it a good power washing before I put it on, but all that work... yada yada.... rolleyes.gif

I know people say it's supposed to "dampen underhood fires" should one occur, but I know it's just there for sound-deadening. Honestly, is there really much of a difference in the level of sound? Also, is there any truth to the argument that if you don't have one, your paint on the hood will begin to crack and fade faster?

Lastly, where can I pick up a complete set of those little hood clips? Dunno if they're the factory ones (little - sign wing ones that just pop in) but that's what I saw on most of the XJ's that had 'em. Not sure if I trust the ones I pulled out from the various Jeeps; being of various years and such.. :hmm:

The underhood insulatiin isn't going to do anything for you in the event if an underhood fire except burn. They marginally do anything for the noise, they are however better than nothing for noise and temps. Before putting it in you would do well to clean the bottom side of the hood to remove all the grease and oil and whatnot you can. As for the paint fading and cracking without one it will happen because these engines like to run hot. That being said most of us don't have one and would rather put in hood vents instead to let out the heat.

So, with a lot of finagling and swearing, I got the insulation in. Pretty ugly, but better than looking at bare metal I suppose. I can always go get another for $10 from the P&P though, so it's not too bad.

Problem is that now I can't shut the hood. It's getting caught on the hood release cable, and I'm 95% sure that it's because of the bottom clip.

A closer look reveals that it's not holding the "metal" piece in the middle. It keeps sliding over to the left (entire cable; passenger side) when I try to close the hood.

The clip was already in pretty rough shape, but now it's border-line mangled. I'm assuming I should probably go pick up some someplace? I'm really not sure if anywhere sells a clip like this; as they're all push-pin style types with no "lock" on the inside of them. Any ideas of where to search? :dunno: I'm thinking the hardware store, since the auto parts places around here didn't have nearly any type of selection of these things. Had to hit up my old man at work to get the retainers.

Ignore the majority of the last post. The reason the hood wouldn't close right is because I left a pair of channel locks tucked into the nook of where the hood closes on the passenger side. :fool: :doh: :dunce:

That's what I get for trying to work on a Jeep with only 6 hours of sleep in the last 2 days. :ack: