QuestionS bout dana 30 diff

Got 2 questions. One is can i use my 90 dana 30 knuckles on a 96 xj dana 30 i just picked up? They look rusty and wanted to know if they will fit. Also how come supposably 96 and up has bigger u joints. But when i go to autozones web site there the same part number for all? Any info be helpful. Thanks.

FOR AXLE SHAFT U JOINTS

We're dealing with Jeep so take this with a grain of salt but IIRC for the XJ HP D30 it is:

- '95-older non-ABS = 260 = small u joint

-'95-older ABS = 297 = large u joint (supposedly)

-96-newer all = 297 = Large u joint.

But if you looked up drive shaft u joints instead of axle shaft u joints they are the same and are 1310's. If they are listing the axle shaft u joints as all the same I would check a parts place versus a McParts place.

As I have noted each time I post this, the following is from a book manuscript I started awhile ago. This IS copyrighted, and by posting it here I do NOT grant any permission to further disseminate it. You may print ONE copy for your own reference ... that's it.

Front axle

All Cherokees and Comanches used front disc bakes with ventilated rotors. However, not all years are the same. The original AMC design called for all cast rotors. Beginning in model year 1990, Chrysler used a two-piece composite rotor. This composite rotor was prone to two problems. The composite design consists of a cast outer rotor for the actual braking surface portion of the assembly, with a thin, stamped metal “hat” section where the assembly fits over the hub. The composite rotors warp very easily if worked too hard, or if the lug nuts for the front wheels are not carefully tightened to a uniform torque setting. Secondly, in northern states where salt is used on the highways during winter conditions, the thin metal “hat” section often rusted severely enough that the rotor itself detached from the “hat,” resulting in a complete loss of front brakes. There is a factory recall covering the front rotors on certain years in those states comprising the so-called “rust belt.” If you own a Cherokee or Comanche built in model years 1990 through1999, it is strongly recommended that you call a dealer or directly to DaimlerChrysler’s customer service number to inquire if your vehicle is covered by this recall. Have the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) available when making the call.

In mid-1999 the front brakes were changed again, reverting to all cast rotors. However, the new cast rotors are not the same as the original AMC cast rotors. The various rotors and hubs have slightly different offsets, which means that in swapping axles or upgrading brake components to those from a different year vehicle, it is critical to keep the parts from one group together. Failure to observe this precaution will result in brakes that hang up or calipers that interfere with the rotors.

In general, the parts to be concerned with in keeping the front brakes compatible are the steering knuckles, the hub/bearing assemblies, the rotors, and the calipers. (There is a more complete enumeration of the interrelationship of these parts in Chapter 6, Axles.)

• Only two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side knuckles are different part numbers within each group.

• Three different hub/bearing units were used. The hub/bearing units are the same for both sides of the vehicle. The different years for hub/bearing assemblies were: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

• Three rotor types were used: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast).

• Only two caliper types were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side calipers are different part numbers within each group.

Be sure to keep the knuckles, hubs, calipers and rotors all compatible or you'll encounter problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey. I finally got to start on the axle and found the left side coil spring/shock bracket was soo rotted it had holes. I brought it back in time to get store credit . So i am now waiting to get another one from everetts. but i will definatly keep this info saved for future reference when i get another one.