ax4 to ax5 convesion?

i have heard you can convert your 4 speed ax4 into a 5 speed and roomer has it most of the parts are already inside the 4 speed gearbox. is there ant truth to this and if so how hard is it to do, or am i just hopeing for a mirical :dunno:

Easiest way to get the parts to turn an AX4 into an AX5 would be to get an AX5. But then why not swap the entire AX5 into the truck?

You will need the 5th gear shift rail, gears, bearings shift collar and synchro. Also a different reverse shift rail, detent spring and ball (plus possibly other ones between rails, can't remember) and I think also the shift bracket.

I just dismantled a partially good AX4 and a partially good AX5 a couple weeks ago to make one good AX5. Put the 5th gear shift collar on backwards so it just barely engages and pops out when coasting, but I've had enough to last me a while. Maybe next year some time I will feel like taking it out again to fix that. But that was my first time working on a manual transmission and there were too many parts for me to have remembered everything.

Yes you can, I've done it. What do you have at your disposal?

right now i have the ax4 thats in the truck. but after reading mvusse's post i think thats more than i care to get into without having an extra one on the bench.

Ah, I was assuming you either had a toasted AX-5 sitting around, or a 2wd AX-5 or something. Yeah, it's not something worth part hunting for. You're better off finding an AX-5 to throw in and keeping the AX-4 around as a spare.

AX5 is in a number of other Jeeps too. XJs, YJs and a few Eagles ('83-85 with 4 cyl only)
I'm overdue for a trip to the junk yard. i think its been 6 months :clapping:

I know the AX5 out of YJs clock the transfer case higher. Enough so that the floor needs to be modified for the double cardan CV joint to clear in a stock MJ. Depending on amount of lift, it might work without mods in a lifted MJ.

Depending on his level of ambition, it wouldn't be hard to swap his current AX-4 rear case onto the AX-5. I believe the only difference in the AX-4/5 rear case is the clip/spring combo in the AX-5 to prevent going into reverse from 5th, but that should move over just fine.

Nope, it's actually a small clip and spring just inside the hole where the shifter bolts to. It's set up so the only way to go into reverse is by going to the right, and down. When you go to the right, and up, it pops the clip back up, so you have to bring the shifter back to the middle before going into reverse.

Must be a design difference between years. My AX4 (out of an unknown year YJ) I'm pretty sure what prevented the shifter from going up when in the rightmost position was in the design of the reverse shift rail. That is why I had to change over the reverse shift rail from the AX5 when moving the 5th gear stuff over to the AX4 mid plate.

Must be a design difference between years. My AX4 (out of an unknown year YJ) I'm pretty sure what prevented the shifter from going up when in the rightmost position was in the design of the reverse shift rail. That is why I had to change over the reverse shift rail from the AX5 when moving the 5th gear stuff over to the AX4 mid plate.

Oh, it is. I see now we're talking about two completely different things. You're talking about the trans preventing you from putting it into 5th when there is no 5th. I'm talking about the safety feature that prevents accidental shifting from 5th into "6th" on an AX-5.