1986 Rear Brakes

There are two hydraulic lines going to the rear axle: a) long one that drops down to the back of the axle; and B) a short one that stops just before the axle. I need to figure out how to hook up the brakes for the Ford 8.8, which has only one connector on the driver's side - any ideas from you gurus of the MJ?

Ron

There are two hydraulic lines going to the rear axle: a) long one that drops down to the back of the axle; and B) a short one that stops just before the axle. I need to figure out how to hook up the brakes for the Ford 8.8, which has only one connector on the driver's side - any ideas from you gurus of the MJ?

Ron

It sounds like your MJ is screwed up. The two lines run from the front to the height-sensing proportioning valve, which is mounted to the frame above the rear axle. There is only one rubber hose running from the proportioning valve to the rear axle, and that's what should be connected to the new Ford axle.

The capped line that drops down even with the axle went to the height sensing valve, and I'm pretty sure the other capped one did too. If you don't have/want the height sensing valve, then there shouldnt be any problem. I just pulled mine 2 days ago, pulled the lines so there wouldnt be confusion, and capped it at the master cylinder

The capped line that drops down even with the axle went to the height sensing valve, and I'm pretty sure the other capped one did too. If you don't have/want the height sensing valve, then there shouldnt be any problem. I just pulled mine 2 days ago, pulled the lines so there wouldnt be confusion, and capped it at the master cylinder

So which one should I cap and which one should I hook to the 8.8? Or doesn't it matter?

I find that there are two lines coming out of the proportioning valve for the rear brakes... which one do I cap?

The one that points to the front grill. the one that actually runs the brake lines faces down, and is smaller, i believe it was a 3/8" nut, i'll check on it and let you know for sure. I'd take pics to eliminate confusion, but my phone bit the dust yesterday

EDIT

Oops, the one on the bottom is the one you cap, just went out to check. the one that sticks out the front is the smaller, 3/8" nut and it goes to the actual brakes. the bigger one that faces down went to the height sensing valve

On the off chance you didnt know, the hard line that goes to the rubber hose i circled in the picture is the one that goes to the brakes. IT has a split coming off of it going to the capped line on top in the picture. My lines were bad so i just ran one new on from the cylinder to the brakes, and completely eliminated the height sensing valve

Figured it out...

A) (long one) is the main line to the proportioning valve. This is the pressure line.

B) (short one) must be a return line to the proportioning valve to bleed off the additional pressure used to enhance braking.

For those of you who decide to do this swap (Ford 8.8"), you'll need a 1/4 (7/16" 24) female to 3/16 (3/8" 24) male brake line adapter to mate the Jeep hard line to the Ford soft line. I drove the owner of my Napa store crazy with this request, but he finally found the part - it can get really confusing if you don't deal with this on a regular basis.

Thanks for all the advice fellas, it finally came down to just experiment and the truth shall be revealed.