Old Man Emu Lift sit level?

Hello, I am thinking about pulling the trigger on an old man Emu lift I'm putting together. I am not sure it will sit level... contemplating buying longer shackles as well. Let me know what you think.

Truck is a stock 89 Metric ton 4X4, I will be putting on 31" X 10.5 tires/rims from a stock 2006 Rubicon. picking up the following parts:

-3" Old man Emu HD front coil springs

-Front/Rear Old Man Emu shocks to fit the 3" lift.

-Full length Rough Country add-a-leaf springs (The MJ ones not Cherokee)

-U-Bolts front and back.

-Adjustable track bar

I talked to a OME rep about the front coils. He said unless you have a heavy winch bumper the front will sit higher than 3". I don't have a heavy bumper yet but I plan on getting one in the next 6-8 months hence going with the HD (Heavy Duty) version.

I talked to the guys at Rough Country about the add-a-leafs they sell with their 3" Comanche lift and they told me I should see 2"-2.5" lift with them but that it would sit level. I have a heavy Hanson MJ bumper on the Rear already and I do pack alot of weight when I camp.

So my worry is that the front end will sit higher than the rear. The extended shackles Rocky Road is selling will net 1" lift. Do you think they would be needed? Any input/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks Ryan.

Really kind of up in the air there. The Rusty's Add a Leaf is probably not designed for the Metrc Ton leaf springs, so you could end up with more or less lift. May end being a try it and find out deal.

At 3" you might want to think about control arms and sway bar links as well, especially if that 3" ends up being more than 3". Beware that longer shackles turn the pinion up, giving you an incorrect pinion angle, which could possibly give you a driveline vibration.

You also mention U bolts front and back. What are the front u bolts for?

Yeah its hard to tell what to expect from add-a-leafs on the metric ton leaf pack. Have not really been able to find an answer on what to expect.

As for the U-Bolts, yeah looks like they only go on the rear... What can i say, I'm learning something everyday. Never really had a chance to play around with vehicles until now. Hopping to do the instal myself.

I will pick up sway bar links for sure. Looking into control arms as well. Going to avoid the shackles if possible.

Thanks for the responses.

I have a similar OME lift minus the AAL - don't like AALs at all. :D Which MT springs do you have now, the 3+ 2 (three thin leafs w. 2 thick overload leafs) or the 4+1 (four thin leafs w. 1 thick overload leaf)?

I have the 2 thick bottom + 3 thin on top.

I really don't like the idea of add-a-leafs either but I really only want 3" of lift. This is a daily driver and I already have the rims and 31" tires I will be putting onto it. SOA would be the way to go but I would have to run 33"s and the gas millage would make it to pricey to commute and camp in.

It seems like add-a-leafs are the only way to accomplish this. I could buy a new set of rear spring packs but then It wouldn't be metric ton. I camp a-lot and bring quite a bit of weight with me. I feel much more comfortable having the overload springs in there.

So it it's tough call. This whole process has been crazy. I waited months on a Motion offroad lift only to find out they went bust...

Seems like every company that has Comanche lifts has a questionable reputation. Rough country, Rocky Road, Rusty's, hells creek. I'm trying to be dilligent with my next buy but it dosn't seem like any one company is solid. I found a BDS Comanche lift that looks really good but I can't find any info on the company as far as reviews.

I just need a dependable lift in a timely manner, from a company that has decent customer service... To much to ask? I'm going to start a thread in the pub with the options I'm looking at if anyone cares to look at it and give some input. Thanks, Ryan.

New MT springs netted me 2-1/2" of lift from the original stock springs, then Teraflex shackles made up for the rest. Since you already have MT springs, your lift with new springs will depend on how shot they are.

Give Tom at Hell Creek a call and explain your spring situation. Definitely do not recommend an AAL. He's a very reputable and knowledgeable vendor.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19998

Alright, thanks for the info. Thats interesting, I wonder if my truck is already sitting higher than stock in the rear.

Is there a way to test how much sag is in the leafs at the moment? The truck has never been a work truck, old man driven, but it is 23 years old.

I talked to a local spring company and they said they will re-pack the the Metric Ton leafs and net me 3" additional lift. If I bring them in it is 125 per pack. It sounds like they will add-a-leaf, re-pack them, and re-press the springs. Is them re-packing it better then me adding a leaf? Has anyone gone this route?

Alright, thanks for the info. Thats interesting, I wonder if my truck is already sitting higher than stock in the rear.

Is there a way to test how much sag is in the leafs at the moment? The truck has never been a work truck, old man driven, but it is 23 years old.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11693

I talked to a local spring company and they said they will re-pack the the Metric Ton leafs and net me 3" additional lift. If I bring them in it is 125 per pack. It sounds like they will add-a-leaf, re-pack them, and re-press the springs. Is them re-packing it better then me adding a leaf? Has anyone gone this route?

I think you mean re-arch, si? I've only done that once before long ago (not an MJ) and they sagged back down to where they were before in about a year. Maybe it's more reliable now. How long will they guarantee the ride height?

Alright, measured the rear lift as per the link below and it appears I am sitting a hair over 8", a little off the 9.2" it should have sat at new. Looks like I lost some lift over the years.

Hmmmm. Also If the new Metric Ton springs from Hells Creek can net 2-2.5" over stock springs, would that mean my truck came stock sitting @ 11.2 - 11.5 stock? Did I actually lose 3" of lift?

Or did adding the MT springs get you 2-2.5" lift on top of the height your truck sat was sitting at with the stock sagged springs?

I'm probably confused... :fool: Sorry