Door VIN Prototype - Opinions? Suggestions?

The prototype that a lot of people have been waiting for; at least, I know I have. Since this is the prototype, I wanted to get club input. All the other decals I've made up to this point didn't really need any input, but since this is probably one of the more important reproductions I can offer to everyone, I figured that everyone should agree with the design.

With that being said, this is the prototype (based on my own '87's stats) that will be available to everyone to replace the old and missing door tags. As you can see, it's the AMC model version; the Chrysler / Jeep + Eagle versions will only take a few minutes to change.

The only difference between the versions will be:

Manufacturer

Year

GVR

VIN

Country of Origin

So, what's everyone's opinion on it? Should anything be re-arranged? Different layouts for ratings? Any information that should be added?

Lastly, I scoured the forums for info on GVR and GAWR ratings.

Pete posted these up a few years ago on a thread and I wanted to know if these are true ratings. Note that later in the thread, the first batch of ratings below this text were for 2.5s only If these aren't accurate, can someone get me some GVR / GAWR ratings for the 2.5 / 2.8 / 2.1 / and 4.0s? I also read that GAWR ratings were the same for all platforms. Is this true as well?

------

4x2 sb curb weight: 2912, GVWR: 4387

4x4 sb curb weight: 3076, GVWR: 4551

4x2 lb curb weight: 2959, GVWR: 4434

4x4 lb curb weight: 3141, GVWR: 4616

Posted Metric Ton Ratings:

Metric tonne lb 2x4 curb weight: 2959; GVWR: 5165

Metric tonne lb 4x4 curb weight: 3141; GVWR: 5347

GVWR from my 86 brochure (all longbeds of course), no curb weight given:

2x4: 4554

4x4: 4779

Metric tonne 2x4: 5208

Metric tonne 4x4: 5375

So, what's everyone's opinion on it? Should anything be re-arranged? Different layouts for ratings? Any information that should be added?

IMHO, the VIN and emissions stickers are of no practical use. I bought my orginal Cherokee new in 1988 and I don't think I have ever looked at either the VIN sticker on the door (in fact, I didn't know there is one until I saw this post) or the emissions sticker. The value of your reproductions isn't to have the information so much as to have an accurate replacement for missing, damaged, or defaced OEM stickers.

So my view is that they should replicate the originals as exactly as you can do it. If that's the original layout -- don't change anything (other than the data that changes according to model).

Great work, BTW.

IMHO, the VIN and emissions stickers are of no practical use. I bought my orginal Cherokee new in 1988 and I don't think I have ever looked at either the VIN sticker on the door (in fact, I didn't know there is one until I saw this post) or the emissions sticker. The value of your reproductions isn't to have the information so much as to have an accurate replacement for missing, damaged, or defaced OEM stickers.

So my view is that they should replicate the originals as exactly as you can do it. If that's the original layout -- don't change anything (other than the data that changes according to model).

Great work, BTW.

Thanks Eagle. The main reason for doing this is because I've read about numerous people complaining about their missing, damaged, etc etc VIN tag on the door. Guess it's just a small way I can think of to repay the CC community for all the knowledge and information I've learned while on here.

I can just imagine a picky motor vehicle inspector or police officer getting all unglued if the VIN on a door sticker doesn't match the VIN under the hood and in the windshield. You'd think these people never heard of "junkyards."

Will the barcode actually work with each individual VIN? Being in an inspection state, we actually use that barcode to make it easier to enter vehicle data. It would be a nice touch if you made the barcode actually read out the individual VIN.

Sadly, the barcode is just an added touch. :( If I could figure out how to make it read for each individual truck, I'd make it so. Too bad I don't know exactly how to do that... :hmm:

Will the barcode actually work with each individual VIN? Being in an inspection state, we actually use that barcode to make it easier to enter vehicle data. It would be a nice touch if you made the barcode actually read out the individual VIN.

Sadly, the barcode is just an added touch. :( If I could figure out how to make it read for each individual truck, I'd make it so. Too bad I don't know exactly how to do that... :hmm:

From a Google search:

http://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/index.php

I don't see why not. A barcode is just a barcode, a representation of letters/numbers. The gun they use to scan it just reads it and translates it into the alphanumeric string we see. No different than the barcode scanners in any other business (grocery store, etc.).