Transmission help

Hey guys. I have an 86 Manche with the 2.8L V6 and TF904 tranny. Anyone know a tranny and transfer case I could use to replace it? I do a lot of long distance driving and the 3 speed just isn't cutting it anymore. Any info would definitely help. Looking to buy sonething ASAP so I can do the swap. Thanks. Looking for an automatic I guess, although id prefer manual eventhough it's a lot more work to convert it. Thanks again in advance.

I thought the ax4 was built for the 2.5L 4cyl. Mine is the 2.8L V6. So the bell housing would be different correct?

Actually no. The 2.5 uses a GM 60 degree bolt pattern for the bell. The 2.5 and 2.8 used the same transmission, same bells.

Also, converting to a manual is probably going to be less work than getting a different automatic to work properly.

I thought the ax4 was built for the 2.5L 4cyl. Mine is the 2.8L V6. So the bell housing would be different correct?

Actually no. The 2.5 uses a GM 60 degree bolt pattern for the bell. The 2.5 and 2.8 used the same transmission, same bells.

Also, converting to a manual is probably going to be less work than getting a different automatic to work properly.

Really? That's great to know. Might make this swap easier then I thought. Thanks a lot.

I would get an AX5, same as the AX4 with the addition of a 5th overdrive gear. Don't know if your transfer case has the correct input shaft to bolt to an AX4/AX5, but an AX5/231 combo should be easy enough to find out of a 4 cylinder Cherokee. Everything else needed like clutch pedal and master cylinder, linkages, shifter etc. can come from that same XJ.

So I may have found a resolution. Found someone nearby my house that is selling an 86 Comanche. 136k original miles. He's the second owner. It has the 2.5L with the 5 speed. Everything is in perfect running order. Body has some damage to it. He's asking $900 obo. Think it's worth the buy to use it as a donor truck?

• 3 weeks later...

Probably someone on here selling it. I paid $600 for the '89 longbed I bought and it wasn't complete (grill and rad missing. Motor swapped in doesn't run, pass door gone and bed nearly shot from scrap hauling damage) I got it because it had the tilt column auto shift I wanted with gauge package and I can convert it to 4x4 and extend the cab later.