Detail Paint for Valve Cover?

Keeping in line with the unique theme I'm going for here with my truck, I thought of something while at work.

Anybody remember these engines? If not, that's fine. It was before some of our times (mine included). The Tornado 230; the only OHC engine produced by Jeep. Basically, I want to apply the "Tornado" logo to my own valve cover, but am unsure of some things.

I wanted to know if anyone has found a good way to apply small brush paint to detailed sections of a valve cover that can withstand the heat coming from it. I've heard people using model paint (Ismurphy), but am unsure if this would give me the results I'm looking for, or withstand gentle cleaning (wet paper towel mostly) and my main concern, the heat. Can anybody offer me any suggestions? :dunno:

On a side note, is there any place that can make custom valve covers? Reason I ask, is there a way to get that "raised lettering" look like seen below; and yes, I know it the old VCs were pressed and constructed from cast aluminum most of the time.

I used the Duplicolor 500 engine paint. They used to make a 2000 degree paint that was excellent and I can't find it now.

To do the raised letter.......putty knife rapped tightly with a thin t-shirt material then spray paint in a puddle and dab knife/material and then dab letters lightly. I tried a rubber roller but that didn't carry enough paint........unlike ink paint won't hang onto the rubber.

To give an 'aluminum' appearance.........spray with chrome paint then again with clear......acrylic clear.

How about having someone scan the image and make a raised emblem to put on the valve cover.

The tornado vc is cast aluminum btw. I don't know of any vc's that are cast iron

My mistake. 9 hour shift at work will do that to you sometimes umn.gif Didn't think a raised emblem would work, given the heat inside the engine compartment would cause the glue to dissipate perhaps? Or am I just over-thinking things here. :dunno:

Also, to Ismurphy. Interesting, seems like it would work. Can't say I would do it in "Aluminum" though. More likely I'd go for a medium to darker shade of blue, to match my eventual striping I'm going to put on the truck.

BTW.........

You can bake paint to metals......the 2000 was the best but the 500 will work also. Spray then place in oven before cure.....400-450 degrees for 20 minutes.....let cool.

If your wife can tolerated it. :)

Very tough finish.

I baked automotive grade paints this way too...acrylics.