speedometetr question

Dad's MJ speedometer does not have a trip odometer on it so just swapping it out should just be straight forward, minus those pesky legal issues. My question is, his MJ us column shift, does the gear indicator have some special precaution to take to prevent damaging it or do i just pull out?

thanks

Dad's MJ speedometer does not have a trip odometer on it so just swapping it out should just be straight forward, minus those pesky legal issues. My question is, his MJ us column shift, does the gear indicator have some special precaution to take to prevent damaging it or do i just pull out?

thanks

What year is dad's MJ? 91 and 92 are different from 86 toyour friend. 90. Do not think column shift cluster is just a straight pullout. I have seen a couple threads about this.

• 1 month later...

I just did this its a PITA....

After removing the clear casing from the front...

You have to unclip the speedo cable, then remove the 3 rear screws that hold the left large gauge on (either tach or gas depending on your cluster). remove that gauge then disconnect the small eyelet wire that controls the PRND12, which sits behind the gauge you just removed. Then disconnect the wire harness connectors that go to the light box and the gauge cluster itself.

At that point its just a matter of removing the screws that hold the speedo gauge in and switching it out with one that has a trip odometer.

Then you have to reconnect the eyelet,reattach the left gauge(3 screws from behind while the rest of cluster is in place, such a pain), reconnect the speedo cable, reconnect the electrical plugs and replace the clear casing.

My truck is also an 89 column shift so this should be exactly what you need to do, unless someone else has an easier solution.

there are some pics here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14904