Another Custom Cupholder option (mostly solid cups)

So, as many have discovered, bench seated MJ's have a lack of cupholdability... Really not a good plan for those of us with an admitted coffee addiction :cheers:

This was my solution made of parts I already had around:

Cost to me: $0

Cost with nothing to start: $10ish

Labour: Maybe half an hour including fighting with the rusted bolts to get the cup-holder off the bike...

Parts:

Cup holder

Butterfly Drywall Anchor

4" or so of threaded rod or a screw matching the thread on the butterfly anchor. (I used some heatshrink on the end to tell me when I had backed out the rod before I would lose the anchor, if you had a screw instead, put it head side into the dash)

2 wing-nuts (including yourself)

(no, the notes on TPS adjustment are not required, though a good check anyways)

Warnings:

Hold onto the anchor and rod at all times during install. I managed not to lose the anchor into the dash by holding it taught at almost all times, but when doing this just take care that you hold it out from falling in as I don't know where it would go or how to fish it out.

Thread the rod through the anchor so all you have left sticking out from the vent is the same length as the wings on the wing nut and gently put on the cup holder, then the wing nut and tighten it all down. This will mean that you don't have a rod gouging all your cups and poking holes in anything paper.

I have had paper cups in there with no issue, but if you smush one in expect to fill your tranny with coffee..

Step one:

Remove vent grate:

(I used the one center in the cab, I would think the two side vents may also work but I have not tested it)

See the pin, one of each end, you want to contract them to remove the grate from the dash

And done...

Step two:

Install the anchor:

This is the important part, you want to end up with the anchor like this where it is grabbing onto the back of the dash instead of the back of the vent. This way it is a strong mount vs just ripping out the vent when you go over a nice bump with a full cup.

So, squeeze the butterfly anchor together and put it through the vent from the back on the bottom opening such that is is held together by the sides of the vent. (the vent has a top and bottom, says top on the top)

Now carefully insert the vent back into the dash, slowly push the anchor into the dash until you hear/feel/see the "wings" snap out behind the dash. From here on hold the anchor taught to the dash and carefully thread the rod through the anchor so all you have left sticking out from the vent is the same length as the wings on the wing nut, gently put on the cup holder, then the wing nut, and tighten it all down.

Finished

Final Notes:

Bad angle but once again, the threaded rod and wing nut are shorter that the back rail of my cup holder so they do not contact the cup.

Could use any nut vs a wing-nut but I like not needing tools to take it off, and there is not a high torque needed anyways.

Cheers

Dave

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Quick, easy, and brilliant, I'm going to have to do this! Tired of sticking cans/stiff cups between the curve of the bench and the door and praying it doesn't come flying out when some idiot slams on the brakes in front of me :rotfl2: