Fuel Tank/sending unit/fuel pump questions

I have a 1986 LWB 4cy with a bad fuel pump. I also have a brand new tank and sending unit from a 1988 6 cyl SWB. I have searched and found bits and pieces of info but not all the answers to my questions. From what I've read I should be able to bolt the SWB tank into my LWB without issue. Now, will I be able to bolt the new 4cyl fuel pump into the sending unit for the SWB tank in place of the 6 cyl pump?

Any additional insight into this swap would be appreciated. Thanks

hello , i recently put a "swb" tank in a '87 "lwb" just use 2 tank straps instead of 3 ... filler does NOT line up , however , with a couple of copper plumbing elbows and some flex type hose from napa and it works just fine ! :banana: sending unit / pump from the " swb " where for a 6 cyl . as was the truck it went in . i don't see why a 4 cyl wouldn't work , but i've heard they are differant (?) :dunno: maybe someone out there knows for sure ... good luck ! comanche.gif

I have a 1986 LWB 4cy with a bad fuel pump. I also have a brand new tank and sending unit from a 1988 6 cyl SWB. I have searched and found bits and pieces of info but not all the answers to my questions. From what I've read I should be able to bolt the SWB tank into my LWB without issue. Now, will I be able to bolt the new 4cyl fuel pump into the sending unit for the SWB tank in place of the 6 cyl pump?

Any additional insight into this swap would be appreciated. Thanks

Does your sending unit look like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NOS-86-Jeep ... 6a&vxp=mtr

My 1991 looks nothing like the above which is apparently made for the 1986? It looks like the electrical connector for the 86 is different from the 87 and later.