HELP, Cracked frame near steering gearbox.

I have a crack on my frame were the steering gear box mounts on the inside (causing a popping,cracking noise while turning either way) my boss says we can drill holes to stop the crack from growing and weld it,Do you guys have any advise or tips?thanks in advance.

drill holes, weld the crack then reinforce. JCRoffroad sells supports that go on the outside and inside to stiffen it. you can also get a steering box brace that supports from passenger side.

Just about all off road companies have the steering box support bar. and they're easy enough to make... rusty's

here's some links to the reinforcements

crok

ztech

roxolid

jcroffroad

on another note i have a drawing with the dimensions if you wanted to make your own too. It's from one of the companies above their cad drawings.

I had this problem recently. I'm not that good at welding sheet metal; but I haven't had a problem since.

I made both reinforcement plates outta 3/16".

Frame cracked at the steering box. Welded it as best as I could after drilling out the cracks and hitting it with a hammer. Then I plated it with 3/16 steel on both sides. It's hard getting a good bead on this sheet metal they call a frame. At least they hold.

Steering is a whole lot more responsive now! :thumbsup:

Cool I'm going with Jc's complete kit (the bumper reinforcement one) are there any other ways to stiffen the frame,I just want a more solid feeling daily driver?

Putting a steering box brace on my XJ stiffened up the front end a lot.