How little HP could you live with?

DirtyComanche

374183_300448799992614_100000824882082_787306_1921989628_n.jpg

PhotoChop, not a real MJ! :D

:agree: However a different topic, that bumper is far too nice. Don't let Rob try and trick us with his fabled truck that only exists on his computer. "Oh... I'll just add a couple of dents and a bend here and there. Add in the make believe badge and that'll get everyone thinking twice! Yeah! That'll fool them all!!!" No, sir. Not me. I refuse to buy into it. Fool me once... fancy bumper... shame on you. Fool me twice... Turbo Diesel badge... shame on me? Well not today, pal! Nope... not a real MJ.

Great little truck. If you can learn to work on them, and do the maintenance as required, the renault will outlast the body it's installed in.

I'd just get one of them, but they are simply not around. The last diesel I saw listed at all local to me, was an XJ, $5000 and not budging. It was NOT mint.

However, I think I should be better able to find something in the 80HP range. I was looking for something more along the lines of 120-150HP, and there just isn't anything that I can source, or it is mad $$$.

DirtyComanche,

Find a 96-2003 VW 1.9TDI, use the Acme Kit to the Toyota trans, Manual or Auto, Toyota 4 speed auto is the same at your Jeep AW4. These TDI engines put out 90 hp and 149-157 lb/ft in stock condition. They can and are goosed to 200 hp and 300 lbs/ft. I drove to Vegas last week in a 97 Passat TDI with that much power. Yes, I watched it run on the Dyno and put it out that much power, at the front wheels. Still got 40 mpg on the highway. The Passats are all front wheel drive, there are a few "all wheel" drive versions from the factory out there.

My own 96 Passat wagon has been chip tuned, it put out 108 hp and 215 lbs/ft at the front wheels, nice and low in the RPM range. I have a complete spare TDI engine saved for my Comanche (one of these days).

I suggest you stay away from the 1.6 IDI (InDirect Injection) engines, If possible. Not as much power potential as the TDI for the same or less money.

JJ

I didn't know the 1.6 was an IDI engine... I need to do more reading on the appropriate forums... A 1.9L will be a lot more spendy, but I would definitely prefer a DI engine.

Is there any computerized gizmos on the 1.9L? Also trying to avoid that, not that I fear wiring.

Do your reading on www.tdiclub.com It is a fantastic resource. First thing is to learn to use search. Just about everything you want to know has been answered 10 times over.

Another ComancheClub member is active on TDIClub, Alex22. Alex is one sharp dude on Jeeps and TDIs.

There is a TDI swap topic there. It has all kinds of swap experience. Power enhancements? There in Spades. A number of different Jeep/TDI swaps documented.

Not to bad mouth the Renault Diesel, but it is early 1980's technology, at best. And you are going to have an issue with parts and knowledge with the factory Renault Diesel. Not so with the VW TDI. Tons of resources and tons of spares all over the place.

I didn't know the 1.6 was an IDI engine... I need to do more reading on the appropriate forums... A 1.9L will be a lot more spendy, but I would definitely prefer a DI engine.

Is there any computerized gizmos on the 1.9L? Also trying to avoid that, not that I fear wiring.

Yes, a 1.9 TDI will cost more money than a 1.6 or 1.9 IDI engine. And the pump is controlled by a computer But the computer is your friend, you can get a chip tune for $295 to 400, add bigger nozzles and you get a bunch more power. I have added slightly larger nozzles for $200 and a chip tune for $240. So much more Torque, I had to replace and up grade the original clutch. To get seriously more power out of the IDI engine, you will have to spend more than $1000 on the fuel pump, plus the cost of larger nozzles. Still you will not get the torque at the low end you can get from a modified TDI. And the TDI will give you better fuel economy to boot.

Have not run my 91 Comanche on a dyno, but I doubt the torque at the wheels will be close to the TDI. My Passat wagon weighs about 3100 lbs and my long bed Comanche with the High Output 4.0 a/c Dana 44 Big Ton package and a SnugTop shell weighs more than 34-3500 lbs. Plus, the truck is like a brick or a barn when it comes to air resistance.