No start

I haven't started my jeep in about 5 months so today I went to try and I got a no start. I think the battery is fine because I've used it with in the past month and all of the lights come on in the cab. The starter relay has been out since I put the "new" Motor in. When I tried to start it all that happens is the starter spins. I'm going to get a new relay this weekend before I try it again but any thoughts would be nice. I took a video to Show what it's doing.

jmuKE8yaUT0

Brandon

Don't think the starter would be spinning if the relay was bad. When the starter is spinning does it turn the engine over? Anytime something has been sitting awhile the first thing I would check is fuel. Is it getting any? Spark?

I just fixed the video so you can get more info, but I can start it using he keys. I have to start it with a scew driver pressing it on two bolts on the back of the starter from my understanding this bypasses the relay altogether. I don't think it turned the motor over at all the starter just spins :dunno:

Brandon

I just fixed the video so you can get more info, but I can start it using he keys. I have to start it with a scew driver pressing it on two bolts on the back of the starter from my understanding this bypasses the relay altogether. I don't think it turned the motor over at all the starter just spins :dunno:

Brandon

No, it doesn't bypass the relay.

From your description, it sounds like power is not getting to the solenoid. That's the smaller, cylindrical thingie mounted to the starter. The solenoid is like a magnetic clutch that engages the toothed drive gear on the starter with the teeth on the flywheel ring gear. Shorting those two contacts energizes the magnet in the solenoid, which pulls the drive gear into position.

Pull the starter and have it checked out on a bench tester.

Thanks a bunch for the help once I read Robs comment I remembered and knew he was right. My old pos ford would do this when the starter was going out. That thing ate starters I had to replace it twice in the few months I owned it and the friend of mine who owned it before me replaced it 4 times, because it did what the jeep is doing now. I know the relays out because this methied of starting was working the last time I was messing with it. Worst case is I'll take it off and bring it back to autozone because I know I've replaced it once before. Thanks again for the great help and info :cheers:

Brandon