242 Tcase question

Well, I finally think I'm ready to start thinking Jeeps again. Got burned out there for awhile. Anyhow, I'm looking at maybe picking up a 242 that has been rebuilt and fitted with a Tom woods SYE kit. Any pros or cons with the SYE with 4.5 to 5 inch lift. I had already picked up a 242 for the build and was thinking of doing the SYE kit. What would be a good price to pay for the rebuilt one with SYE?

:cheers:

I have heard nothing but great things about the Tom Woods SYE kit, I think they are the ONLY company making the kit for the 242. It's quality and so is the transfer case. The last one I saw with the Tom Woods sye kit in it for sale was $600.

I knew it was still a hack n tap and I too have heard nothing but good things about them. I was just checking if anyone was running one in their MJ and could give me some insight. I'm going to check it out and as long as it wasn't abused, I'll probably get it. Even if the tcase is not the greatest, I have one I can swap the SYE over to. :thumbsup:

Another 242? Because a 242 output shaft will not swap into a 231.

Correct. I have another 242. With the one I just bought makes 2. Pick it up tonight. Case was rebuilt with the Tom Woods SYE kit and a new chain. Came with the front part of a TWs driveshaft. Not bad for $300.

I have heard nothing but great things about the Tom Woods SYE kit, I think they are the ONLY company making the kit for the 242.

There are a couple companies making a NP242 SYE kit. Rubicon Express has for years (maybe even before TW even offered them) and are a heck of a lot cheaper than the TW kit....