Oil Cap stuck

Ok, '88 4.0 AX-15 MJ, So I replaced my valve cover last year with a steel one from a 97 ZJ and I used the plastic oil cap from that one, for the last couple of days I've noticed my oil pressure gauge fluctuating when I come off the gas where before it used to be a pretty steady 40 psi while warming up and 20 psi afterwards. I finally got some time to check the oil and it was below the add line, and it is time to do an oil change, but I do need to drive it some before I have the time to do that.

Ok, sorry for the extra details, the filler cap is stuck on, it ratchets if I try to loosen or tighten it, I've read about replacements from NAPA, Advance etc.. but before I destroy the old one, is it possible to add some oil through the dip stick tube, I don't see any reason why not, but just want to check with the knowledge bank here before making my problem worse.

TIA

Karl

Ok, sorry for the extra details, the filler cap is stuck on, it ratchets if I try to loosen or tighten it, I've read about replacements from NAPA, Advance etc.. but before I destroy the old one, is it possible to add some oil through the dip stick tube, I don't see any reason why not, but just want to check with the knowledge bank here before making my problem worse.

No problem adding oil through the dip stick tube; it goes to the same place. Oil cap ratchet broke possible fix:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/oilchange/oilchange-3.htm

I put a '96 VC on mine and had the same problem. My fix was to pop the cap off, fill the threaded portion stuck in the VC with JB Weld, pop the cap back on and wait for it to cure. I then used a Craftsman rubber strap wrench (like an oil filter wrench) on it and got it out. The aftermarket ones don't get stuck like that as they're 1 piece.

Thanks for the quick help, I got lucky this morning with a cold engine when I went to add oil and the cap actually came off, I noticed in that link Hornbrod that it talks about it happening with a hot engine. but when I leave work I'm headed to get an aftermarket one.

No problem adding oil through the dip stick tube; it goes to the same place. Oil cap ratchet broke possible fix:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/oilchange/oilchange-3.htm

i replaced the spring inside with a piece of wooden dowel rod so that it can't ratchet anymore jamminz.gif