thermostat housing

I guess my question is. i want to have switch hooked into thermostat housing so when coolant gets to 195 temp fan will kick on. i allready have relay and cicuit breaker. The temp swith is wong size. I didnt know there was a differance between 3/8 and 3/8 npt

I have the same housing on my 88, there is a threaded plug where the temp sensor goes. p/n 8933003612. Before you install the housing make sure the mounting surface is flat, there are only two bolts holding that down. Lay some fine sand paper on a flat surface and move the housing in a figure eight pattern.

I had the same problem with my temp sensor in the housing, I couldn't figure out the threads. The old retired plumber at the hardware store figured it out in about 45 seconds. He called the threads in the housing "compression fitting", then he used a 5/8 NPT to 3/8 NPT reducer. See the photo.

Nice write up lsmurphy. Was looking online at oreillys 91+ thermostat gasket has same part # as earlier gaskets. So whats the differance in the thermostat housings between 91+ and earlier years. $41. for pre 91 or $12. for 91 +. The 91+ has 3/8 npt threads allready would make alot easier if this would work. thanks

Nice write up lsmurphy. Was looking online at oreillys 91+ thermostat gasket has same part # as earlier gaskets. So whats the differance in the thermostat housings between 91+ and earlier years. $41. for pre 91 or $12. for 91 +. The 91+ has 3/8 npt threads allready would make alot easier if this would work. thanks

If I'm not mistaken........I've looked around........

The post 91 has the small hose outlet for the heater running off in the 11 O'clock direction instead of the 2 O'clock direction to feed the intake.

I have seen others loop the hose to the intake using a later housing........looks like crap in my opinion.

NAPA has the pre 91 for $54.

Installed 91+ thermostat housing today doesnt look bad. Only problem i have is a very small leak were temp switch goes into housing. The relay i order says do not use teflon on switch or it will not be grounded any ideas. Ismurphy i have a new pre 91 housing just don't have the tap for 3/8 npt.

Locitite is good s&@t. I used to sell it at King Bearing back in the 80's. It's nice to see that it's lasted and improved with different grades/colors over the years. We also had "super glue" which was ground breaking back then.

By the way...none of those pics look like my 88 t-stat. Mine is polished aluminum with a BIG ball in the front and hoses running parallel. I'll shoot a pic of it tomorrow. My 1990 XJ stat housing is completely different. I drilled and tapped it for a bleeder "petcock" before I switched over to open cooling.