Fuel pressure leak ?

I am selling my 88 swb 4.0 and had my son take it to get smogged for the buyer (CA law requires seller to smog). He called me at work to tell me it failed. The smog tech told me the fuel pressure test showed a leak in the system and it could be simple (cheap) or difficult (expensive) to locate the leak. If this is going to cost more than $100 or so, I will either cannibalize and/or part out the truck or relinquish the truck to the State for $1000. Starting with the most common and simplest sources of leak, where do I start and how do I re-test?

Thanks

How does he know there's a "leak"? Will it hold pressure while running, and then bleed off when the truck is shut off, or does it simply have low pressure?

I'm not sure how the test was done since I was at work but the tech said they have to test the system under pressure and twice the test revealed a leak.

And if I need to replace the pump hose as JeffN suggests, does the assembly just pull out. I've never had to mess with the tank before and am a little nervous about that.

A little about the test, it uses Nitrogen and they place the device over your filler neck. I agree with JEFFN about the solution. The missive below talks about the $161 average cost to fix. I can totally understand where MJRemi is coming from, out here we pay for the smog each time it fails if it is a test only Station. Some smog stations sell a package that allows for failures for more $$.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/0 ... FETFAQ.pdf