Weird ignition problem

I finished putting the dash back together today and finished the open cooling system conversion and when I went to start it I turned the key to the on position, everything came on but when I turn it to the start position I lose power to the dash (radio, clock) and I'm assuming to the ignition itself since the truck doesn't start now. Any idea whats causing this?

Ignition switch at lower left side of steering column probably needs to be re-adjusted . Write-up in Haynes or use search , only 2 screws to loosen , then slide swich up or down while key is in "accessory" position . Also check that actuator rod moves freely inside the column from the switch to key/lock assembly cam . :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

You started here..........

I finished putting the dash back together today and finished the open cooling system conversion and when I went to start it I turned the key to the on position, everything came on but when I turn it to the start position I lose power to the dash (radio, clock) and I'm assuming to the ignition itself since the truck doesn't start now. Any idea whats causing this?

Then you went here.......

Played around with the switch, re-adjusted it and got it to start but when I went to start it again it did the same thing. :dunno:

Did you try this?

Turn the key to run. Jump the starter at the solenoid. Turn engine off. Repeat several times.

If everything is normal this will determine that the problem is in the starter circuit.

When you are turning the key to the "start" position, you are energizing the starter circuit. The fact that your dash lights go out at this time tells you that your system has a electrical short, "possibly" from your previous changes to the truck. It "could be" that the starter has suddenly developed a bad spot and is shorted out, but I have doubts about that as you don't mention any smoke or fire.

The only way to know for sure is start at the battery and follow the wires. Make sure you check all the connections on the starter relay and that the wires didn't get pinched somewhere during the changes (inside the cab as well). If all else fails, pull the wire off the starter and check it with a set of jumper cables or pull the starter and take it to the parts house and have them check it.