Fuel tank and Sender woes

My sender is bad - I pulled it and tested the float.

It ranges from 0-57 ohms. Now, it reads 3/4 as a full tank. Will the gauge still work properly, just on a different scale?

Also, when filling the tank, gasoline will bubble out the filler tube and spill down the truck instead of kicking off the dispenser nozzle. I assume that there is something wrong with the venting of the gas tank. Is there a common problem I can look at? Will I have to drop the tank to troubleshoot this?

I have converted a Brand new XJ sender into an MJ sender and it is very easy...

I am not sure about tank sizes but I My MOPAR Parts catologue says there was a 16G and a 23.5G tank available upto 86 and then 87-92 was 16G, 18G and 23.5G so I would say run the build sheet for your Year if it is still available...

Either way you can easily make the 20G XJ sender to work with a smaller tank but it will not be 100% acurate if you have the 16G tank...

When I made my 91 Sender I had the 18G tank and used the XJ 20G sender and it was right on because Jeep used the same Sender for the 18 and 23.5G tanks so it will read right...

Also Remember that you need to stay within your years (renix or non renix)

Good luck

My sender is bad - I pulled it and tested the float.

It ranges from 0-57 ohms. Now, it reads 3/4 as a full tank. Will the gauge still work properly, just on a different scale?

Also, when filling the tank, gasoline will bubble out the filler tube and spill down the truck instead of kicking off the dispenser nozzle. I assume that there is something wrong with the venting of the gas tank. Is there a common problem I can look at? Will I have to drop the tank to troubleshoot this?

Anyone with any ideas on these two things?