1986 2.5 3 Speed Trans Ideas

So I'm getting kinda tired of the three speed auto in my MJ. Without the extra gear it revs like crazy on the highway. Also the previous owner removed the kickdown or throttle valve linkage to the trans so it up shifts far too early and really bogs down. It also will not downshift going up hills either. What are my options if I were to swap out this three speed or should I try to find a replacement linkage?

There is another manual transmission option for the AMC 2.5L - the AX-15/NV3500 5-speed from a six-cylinder Jeep XJ or YJ/TJ can be used behind the AMC 2.5L four cylinder if you locate a 1996-1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5L four cylinder bellhousing. That year-range Dakotas had an AX-15 style transmission(not sure if it was an actual AX-15 or something else, but it has the AX-15 bell-to-trans pattern) behind the four cylinder they acquired from AMC/Jeep(which is what your Jeep has). It is an external slave cylinder bellhousing, has the correct GM 60-degree V6 bolt pattern that the AMC 2.5L four has, and shares all the same clutch related parts as the Jeep, except for the clutch disk, which has to be sourced from an 80's four cylinder Camaro application to mate to the Jeep AX-15 input shaft. Its a strange conglomeration of parts, but it is feasible. The AX-15 is a much heavier-duty transmission than the AX4/AX5.

Those out there with the GM 2.8L V6 can also use the '96-'98 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing to put an AX-15 behind your stock 2.8L or for 3.4L conversion/upgrades.