New- used vehicle and reliability

Just bought my MJ a couple weeks ago, but I've been waiting to seriously drive it until I can comb through it and see what I really have to deal with. After all, it is a 25 year old vehicle with a quarter of a million miles on it. Curious, how do the rest of you prep a vehicle for reliability before putting it into service (BTW, I know its an old Jeep and impossible to keep perfect, but I like to try. I've had excellent luck with my 89 xj) While inspecting the battery terminals, I found that the negative is completely stripped of its insulation and turning green, additionally its connection to the engine block is poor at best. It appears the dipstick tube is grounding several other items as well, maybe ecu? I can't help but wonder if this is making it idle like a bat out of hell too? I cleaned the throttle-body, checked for vacuum leaks (with tb cleaner), inspected about a million miles of vacuum line and swapped the iac with a known good one from my 89 cherokee... Pulling out the multi-meter next. Additionally, I'm putting in a new radiator and hoses, fan clutch, thermostat, battery + terminals, oil change and replacing a damaged fan shroud too.

Wrap a little duct tape around it. It'll be good for another 25 years. :shake: :thwak:

yeahthat.gif :hijack: Funny you say that Jim.... that's how mine was for about all of the 5 years my PO had my Jeep. If it wasn't for my intervention, it probably would have made it to the 25 mark :D

"....Curious, how do the rest of you prep a vehicle for reliability before putting it into service....."

Step 1: Make the brakes work well, whatever it takes

Step 2: Make the steering work well, whatever it takes

Step 3: Everything else

That's my priority order.

BTW, I also highly recommend Kelley's cables, beaten only

if you have a local supplier of red and black welding cable

by the foot, and the means to crimp end fittings.