Drive shaft length

I swapped in a D44 this weekend. and it looks like my slip yoke has very little play... The D44 is about a inch longer than the D35.. do i need to get my drive shaft shortened right now or is it something that can wait as long as i just use it to go around town in?

Thanks

If its tight I wouldn’t drive it. It can break the tailshaft. It will def need shortened. After confirming this with guys here at work, and remembering that it's a common problem on XJ's and YJ's as well, again, I would shorten it before you drive around so you don't cause any damage.

I used my stock shaft after I swapped in my Dana 44 for almost a year. I had it off road a couple times and launched it off the top of a sand dune once, didn't hurt any thing. But yours sounds like it might be a little tighter of a fit... Better safe than sorry.

I won't drive MJ any this week so i guess i will go ahead a remove the shaft tonight or tomorrow. how much should i get it shortened? and about how much does it usually cost to get it shortened VS getting a new one?

When I swapped the D44 in I had the shaft shortened 1" then balanced, blasted & painted, cost me $70 up here in Huntsville. :cheers:

And for the question about shortening the original or getting a whole new shaft, having the original shortened is cheaper because all you pay for is labor. You already have the tube and both ends. Having a new one built you pay for the tube, the yokes AND the labor. Will probably double the cost.

But if you have a new one made, it can be made to your specs. Mine is made from .3" diameter, .188 wall DOM tubing. Expensive as all heck (the tube alone was over $100), but after I was sitting on the shaft rolling side to side instead of moving forwards or backwards it is still straight without any dents. Wish I would have gone that route the first time before I turned my stock shaft into a candy cane, bent and dented a shortened 2wd Toyota one (looks some someone went to town with a sledge) and twisted another stock one in half.