new to comanches...lift questions

i bought a comanche about 2 weeks ago and i just bought a 41/2 lift kit and 4.10 rear that came from a cherokee...my question is could i just throw in that rear and leaf springs from the cherokee or will i have to use the comanche springs..will i have to move the perches from the cherokee rear? image_209027.gif

You can use that rear end but you will have to weld on new perches(can resue the cherokee ones) and reuse the comanche springs. They are slightly longer than from the cherokee. As far as the 4.10 aspect goes, unless you have matching gears in the front end you cannot use 4wd with non matching gears. Having a 4.10 rear and say a 3.07 front can be driven but only in 2wd until they are the same ratio.

a couple corrections.

rules of thumb:

2.5L + 4spd manual = 3.55 gears

2.5L + 5spd manual = 4.10 gears

You still have to move the spring perches on a cherokee axle no matter what you're doing with it. they are more outboard than comanche perches. Do not force it to work with the XJ perch location. you will eat you bushings in short order and then your axle will be off center.

86 (which is the one I'm assuming you're referring too) is the exception to any of the gearing rules. almost seems like anything could have been had with anything else. you'd have to check to be sure what's underneath. also, it could have been replaced/upgraded in the last 25 years. I know I would have if I was stuck with 3.55 gears and a 2.5L. :D

making the MJ sprung over will give you about 6" of lift with stock springs. should be the same width as the cherokee you pulled it from so the perches shouldn't have to be moved.

Nope, definitely not the same width dude. :smart: :no: