4.0L 5speed with 33's?

I've never owned a jeep and still don't but I'm looking at a 88 Commanchee for the right price.

And I was wondering.... I've got a ford 8.8 with 4.10's and a locker.... I know thats an upgrade from the d35... so its definatly going in.

I also have d30 from an 84 Cherokee.... I'm sure it has the smaller ujoints than the 88 mj but it has brand new locker, carrier and 4.10;s.... that I could swap into the MJ

Got a set of 33's from my odl trailrig id run on it....

33's with 4.10's in it equals what.... more, less, or close to, stock performance?

Wasnt sure when the sizes changed to 297. If I buy the comanchee, for another $200 I can get a good running but rolled xj with the same driveline setup for parts.... this with my 84 30 would give me 3 sets of axles.... I don't figure i'll brake them but if I do I'll be set, then I'll worry about upgrades. I already have a home brewed cable posi-loc I built for $30 as opposed to the $199 prebuilt thing. So I'm good to go there.

couple on other sites agree to the 4.10 combo aswell so looks like i'm good to go if I get the commanche!

hopefully the guy calls me back soon!

Now, I followed an MJ yesterday and it was sprung under....but a 2wd.. did the 4wd's remain sprung under? Its been along while since I saw a 4wd mj around here.... my g/f dd's a 91 cherokee so I know the driveline pretty well... just can't seem to remember if 4x4 mj's are sprung under aswell.... if so, when I swap the 8.8 in (if I get this guys) whats the best way to level the front out, going to be as simple as 3.5 lift coils, and maybe a drop pitman?

All MJs came with the 260 joints and almost all came with the CAD. If you want to keep the CAD, upgrading the joints becomes a little harder. But rumor has it that the last couple years of YJs came with 297s and CAD axles. Might be hard to find in the junkyard, but you can order the passenger side from catalogs I'm sure. car-part.com might be able to locate shafts for you. Search for 95 YJs.

Jeep on!

--Pete

Cherokees with ABS should have had 297X ujoints. So, assumably you could get the CAD compatible parts from them. Although, I'd probably just do the delete if I failed to find the needed parts.

However, I've never seen a cherokee with ABS.

Oh yeah, SOA will give you about 4.5-7" in the rear. Match your front coils/spacers accordingly.

Edit: You've got a peugeot. Expect to lose a gear or five at some point down the road.

Already looking into tranny options for WHEN that would happen....

got a buddy running a np435 hooked to his xj 4.0, which sounds NICE!!!

I'm thinking being a beater rid a simple spacer up front and tag longer shackle with trimmed fenders to fit 33's, would be all I need for awhile until I bent the control arms.... then I would buy repalcments or long arm it, and go higher...

I've got pretty much that exact MJ...4.0L, 5 spd, SOA, 8.8, 4.10's, 33's etc...it's a popular setup.

The 4.10's are close to stock with 33's, maybe a little high, I don't use 5th too much on the highway but otherwise fine for daily driving and of-road.

SOA on an 8.8 will give you more lift because of thicker tubes than a D35, 6" coils up front should match well. I've got Rubicon 5.5" XJ coils with a slight bit of forward rake.

Only thing I did differently is I went with a '96 XJ D30 that had stock 4.10's, non-disconnect and comes with the larger 297-X u-joints...also I got lucky and had an AX-15 in my '89