U-joint and C/V joint?

I noticed on rockauto.com that the WJ 4x4 had the option of C/V joints and U-Joints. Dad's liberty with 242 TC has front C/V joints as well. I have read that U-Joints are stronger but as 95% of my use of the MJ will be on road. would C/V joints offer smoother driving during turns in Full time? and are the WJ's axle shafts interchangeable with MJs?

my question is more of can it be done, and i almost posted it in the pub because i was just wondering if its been done.

thanks

The CV shafts from a WJ will not work, but ones from a ZJ will, though you may need to knock off the ABS tone ring if the CV shaft has one. In my experience at the dealership, Ive never seen a complete failure of a CV joint in a ZJ or WJ dana 30, but I often see boot problems which usually lead to shaft replacement, so that would be an area to keep an eye on.

CV joints sound like one of those things that's technically better than ujoints, but I have to ask myself, will I really be able to tell a difference in any way shape or form? :dunno: I can't say I've ever noticed my front ujoints.

CV joints sound like one of those things that's technically better than ujoints, but I have to ask myself, will I really be able to tell a difference in any way shape or form? :dunno: I can't say I've ever noticed my front ujoints.

in 4wd full time I have noticed mine making turns. even out of the drive way i can feel the u joints. i was just wondering if it would help driveability in 4wd full time. i don't mind the u joints but if it starts storming while i am in the MJ i would rather something that won't wiggle the steering

are you sure you're feeling the ujoints? or are you feeling the binding in the t-case? the t-case only allows for so much differentiation. If the ujoints were binding, I'd think they would do it in 2wd too. :dunno:

in 4wd full time I have noticed mine making turns. even out of the drive way i can feel the u joints. i was just wondering if it would help driveability in 4wd full time. i don't mind the u joints but if it starts storming while i am in the MJ i would rather something that won't wiggle the steering

Only time I've been able to feel u joints in the front axle has been between one or more ends being out of grease, but before the needle bearings get ground up into powder. The joint will try to cease up and may possible make a squeaking noise although I've only ever heard that in driveshaft ones. After a few days the needle bearings disappear causing play and a clicking sound.