Ball joint

I have a 1989 comanche, 2wd with a 4.0L. I just replaced all of my tie rods and was told that they cannot give me an alignment until I get new ball joints, (my current ball joints are original and he said over time they have sagged, I can believe that) the mechanic strongly suggested if I replace the upper to go ahead and replace the lower, also he said I need to get adjusted NOT FIXED ball joints. Does this sound correct? because adjusted are a lot more expensive. Thanks.

New ball joints are good because bad ones are, well, bad. You don't want one of those failing on you. but professional alignments on our truck tend to be overrated. There's really only one adjustment; toe (and aligning the steering wheel). camber isn't adjustable, caster isn't adjustable (except with the shims at the back of the LCAs, and I doubt most alignment shops will touch those). and the adjustment that is possible, can be done by the owner with a tape measure and a flat piece of pavement. It's been done to great success by shade tree mechanics for ages. :thumbsup:

New ball joints are good except when installed by Sears. The tech said he had a hard time getting it fully seated.

Maybe if he had a bigger hammer it would of been easier to install. :smart: I guess the grease fitting was hard to install also.

New ball joints are good except when installed by Sears. The tech said he had a hard time getting it fully seated.

Dear lord...

I had great luck installing 4 ball joints on my TJ using a Harbor Freight ball joint press to remove and install. I used Moog Ball joints from Advance Auto. The latest discussions on various Jeep Forums lead me to believe Spicer ball joints are the way to go as they are what came from the factory.

I have a 1989 comanche, 2wd with a 4.0L. I just replaced all of my tie rods and was told that they cannot give me an alignment until I get new ball joints, (my current ball joints are original and he said over time they have sagged, I can believe that) the mechanic strongly suggested if I replace the upper to go ahead and replace the lower, also he said I need to get adjusted NOT FIXED ball joints. Does this sound correct? because adjusted are a lot more expensive. Thanks.

This does NOT sound correct. It is possible that you need new ball joints, but not necessarily. If they were properly lubricated, they might not be bad. I have 287,000 miles on my 1988 XJ (purchased new) and the ball joints are fine.

That said -- the ONLY reason to install adjustable ball joints is if the axle is bent. They are not adjustable after installation -- they are properly called "offset" ball joints, because they compensate for an out-of-spec condition. The camber is NOT adjustable on the XJ/MJ front axles. Unless the axle has been damaged, there should be no need for using offset ball joints.