AW4 Spline confusion

I am exploring the need to get a new tail cone for a AW4 (on the 93 XJ). The bushing in the tail cone is worn and allowing the output shaft seal to seep. Despite a $13.00 cost for the bushing (and who knows how much to have it pressed in) I am rapidly discovering that purchasing a whole (used) transmission (and drive shaft) could be more cost effective. If I go back with what I have, it'll be a 23 spline unit. The problem is I'm thinking about a transfer case at the same time and have confusion about the spline counts and years.

Searching the forum, some posts say that from 1987 to 1990.5 (first half) the spline counts for the AW4 was 21, but from 1990.5 (second half) to 1997 the spline count went to 23. However, other posts say if a NP 242 was attached, the spline counts were always 23 regardless of year. Other posts say if a NP231 was attached the spline count could be 21 or 23.

Is there a master list somewhere that spells it out? (or is this like most of the other Jeep applications...they used what they had available at the time without rhyme or reason?).

Thanks.

Are you referring to the bushing and seal on the AW4 2WD tailshaft extension piece? I did this awhile back, and it was cheap. Ordered the parts from Transmission Parts USA as follows:

1. 94401, Jeep AW4 tailshaft extension housing seal, 1987-on, $3.04

2. 76635 A340, AW4, A40 38mm transmission extension housing bushing, $2.59

3. 94635A A340, AW4 35mm extension housing bushing, $4.10

$10 for a local machine shop to change the bushing.

I ordered the two bushings because I wasn't sure which one went in my 91 (it could have been either). For your 96 it would be the 38mm bushing.

Are you referring to the bushing and seal on the AW4 2WD tailshaft extension piece? I did this awhile back, and it was cheap. Ordered the parts from Transmission Parts USA as follows:

1. 94401, Jeep AW4 tailshaft extension housing seal, 1987-on, $3.04

2. 76635 A340, AW4, A40 38mm transmission extension housing bushing, $2.59

3. 94635A A340, AW4 35mm extension housing bushing, $4.10

$10 for a local machine shop to change the bushing.

I ordered the two bushings because I wasn't sure which one went in my 91 (it could have been either). For your 96 it would be the 38mm bushing.

Yep, I was thinking of ordering them both as well ($13.00 includes shipping), but I don't have an actual quote for pressing it in, ( off-hand comment was 200.00 for the whole job - R&R).

Still, I wonder if getting a newer AW4 (from 94 to 97) would be a better deal. Even assuming a 10.00 machine shop charge I'd be looking at 26.00 versus 56.00 for an entire unit (including tourque converter). All I have to do is solve the question of the spline count.

Anytime there is any question on spline count, always go with the the 23 one. If you have a 21 and need 23 there is no way to add 2 splines, but if you have a 23 and need a 21 you can always take a grinder and remove 2 of the splines. :huh???: