AX5 Question

It ain't easy, and if you don't have to do it I wouldn't recommend it. There was a special puller made for that specific job. Even a lot of Jeep dealers never bought it. Mine, being an old-line dealership that sold ONLY Jeeps for several decades before finally adding Chrysler, did have it.

When I asked my friend if I could borrow it, he said they had tossed it years ago to make room for Chrysler tools. He said he didn't remember how long they had it, but they had NEVER used it.

Image Not Found

Here's the deal-

A few months ago I did my 4x4 swap with a tranny from a donor XJ that was 'supposed' to be good and it has gotten me by but the synchs are gone so I'm swapping again with another AX5 from a Wrangler. IIRC the XJ AX5 has a vent in the case with a vent hose sent up to the fire wall, the Wrangler has a vent in the shifter housing as seen in the pic. Not only is the shift lever a bit different it is also broken so I wanted to retain the Wrangler vent and replace the lever only when I install. Tool or no tool this sucker was not coming apart easily so I cut it apart.

I may just switch housing with the one on the truck now and if the vent is not in the housing I may just install one myself.

Image Not Found

. Tool or no tool this sucker was not coming apart easily so I cut it apart.

I may just switch housing with the one on the truck now and if the vent is not in the housing I may just install one myself.

I like the way this lad thinks, works.