Questions on 98 GC 5.2L

kyleag89

I am looking at a 98 GC limited 5.2L fully loaded. Is the motor and transmission any good for this year/model? I don't know much when it comes to Jeeps other than the MJ and XJ. Any input would be great I am going to look at it tomorrow(friday) after work. Thanks

Engine is good, the 5.2 has been around in various forms for years... Just don't expect it to get more than 15 MPG, at best. I think you would be around 11ish. As for the trans, it's a Chrysler trans. Not good. I am very nervous about the ticking time bomb in mine. I think the only transfer case offered in the V8 was the 249, and that has a reputation for the viscous couple locking up and causing tire scrub and binding issues. Lets not forget the rear axles either... The D35 is standard, and the D44HD (Aluminum) was optional. I had a short lived run with a D44HD, but after finding out that every single one in the junkyard had spun carrier races, I went back to the all cast D35... Which isn't all that great.

But other than that, I like it. :grrrr:

Rob

The aluminum pumpkin D44 was standard for V8 models. Like Rob said, it stinks. I've got 165K on mine and it's beginning to make some unpleasant noises.

As for the fuel mileage, it'll definitely be better than the previously stated 11/15. In my 5.9L, I get roughly 13.5/18...and I drive that thing with a heavy foot.

i had a 98 gc limited with the 5.2lt and the 42re tranny and d44A rear-end befor i bought my mj a couple months ago.....

and i loved it had it lifted 5inches on 33's and i cruelalized that poor jeep and it never skipped a beat... the only thing i will say about the tranny is extend the vent line and keep the fluid clean and u won't have any issues

as for the d44a yes they r not great but id rather have that then a dana 35 any day just because of the axel diffreance... and the best thing to do to keep the life of the d44a is to toss a small bottle of friction modifyer in with the gear oil to keep the heat down some... cause they can heat up and spin the pumpkin and nevr jack the back up wiht the jack under the pumpkin cause u can crack it!!!

but i would deffintly buy another one in a heart beat... my old one came back up for sale on kijiji and i have been thinkin long and hard about buyin it back just cause it was such a good running jeep probally the best iv ever had and gas mileage wasnt that bad either for what it was

Had 3 5.9 ZJs. Worst MPG was 16.5 normal and 17 flat on road trips. Best was 21 MPGs and that was the fastest one. Never had a problem with the D44A and the mileage on the three ranged from 155k-213K. I think a TRUSSED, non-abused D44A is a decent axle. With a tow load of 4-7K they all got around 11 MPGs. Currently, my DD 5.9 has 190K and got 16.7 on a 300 mile trip yesterday and today. The VCs were long gone when I got them. There are several DIY pages on various forums for either replacing the VC or swapping in a 231or 242, its not that difficult.

Only bad ZJ of the bunch is the 96' Orvis I got for my parents with a 5.2 at 130K. It burns oil faster than old spindletop, and smokes bad enough at start up to break through a WWI German trench line. Other than that it runs great :thumbsup: .

I like the ZJs because they're comfy IMO and there's lots of parts interchangeability with XJs/MJs.