so-so welds

cody4359

I'm getting ready to start fabbing up a bumper in the future so ive been playing around with my welder. it's only a 110v, going to need to go to my works shop and use their millermatic when the time comes. but I'm getting to the point where I'm not embarrased to say i did that :) getting a portaband tomorrow, thatll get my small pieces cut, working on finding a milwaukee hog saw, or i might have to borrow works.

drifted kinda far away in a few spots so it ugly, seemed like the gas was acting up too. thick metal for my little miller

getting there

cutoff and re-welded the end of my kevin offroad steering box brace (messed up from the factory) my weld, untouched up just painted

their weld, holy BLOB. not too impressed

An old welder I once knew always said to me, "A welder is only as good as his grinder". I mean that the piece to be welded has to be ground down to bare metal and cleaned well (acetone, MEK or similar), otherwise the weld will be contaminated. Looks like you did that. I'm no CWI and can barely weld myself, yours looks better than mine.

If I had an extra 220 hook up, I'd be in possession of bigger welder, for now I have a little jobber too.

one of these years I'm going to tear down this garage that is more like a wood shed and build a real shop. ill have 220v power, concrete floor and a roof that won't leak, then ill get set up for making things nice. it would definatley help the motovation.

i have the temp all the way up (10) and the wire speed is at 40 (less than half) any less and it just makes a bright light then clogs the tip. ive recently started moving faster and thats helped alot, might have to try going faster yet and see what happens. here in the next month or 2 work is going to be giving me alot of welding project (mostly stick) and my 2 bosses are badass welders so ill be getting all tuned up

• 1 month later...

those welds look very nice. I can't really tell from the pics, but are you sure you got the cast hot enough to penetrate? I'm not asking to be mean, or critique you at all, just asking because it really is very hard for even a professional welder to get good penetration without pre-heating the cast.

unsure of how hot it should have been. i tacked it then heated it hot to the touch with a torch, then started welding around not letting it get too hot. i was more worried about warping it and didnt really think of it being cast :dunce: i did atleast cover it with a fire blanket and let it cool

unsure of how hot it should have been. i tacked it then heated it hot to the touch with a torch, then started welding around not letting it get too hot. i was more worried about warping it and didnt really think of it being cast :dunce: i did atleast cover it with a fire blanket and let it cool

generally you heat it to a low red hot before you weld to it, but you should be just fine if you heated it hot to the touch using a torch. the real key when welding to cast is that you concentrate the weld on the cast (getting it hot on the cast) and pool it over to the steel. two different metals with two very different "melting points".

I wouldn't worry about it too much. just check here and there to make sure that the welds are not cracking...if they do, then you can simply clean up and re-weld. not a huge deal, and you certainly can't wreck the inner C by not getting it hot enough. better to play it safe right now while you improve your welding technique (which is pretty damn good so far)

thanks for the advice/ complements. looking for a upper control arm mount lastnight i read something about getting it redhot, just seems like that would warp the crap outta it (the c's) and cause pre-mature balljoint failure down the road :hmm: either way i have new axles going in once H3RESQ commits to the sale.. :D

thanks for the advice/ complements. looking for a upper control arm mount lastnight i read something about getting it redhot, just seems like that would warp the crap outta it (the c's) and cause pre-mature balljoint failure down the road :hmm: either way i have new axles going in once H3RESQ commits to the sale.. :D

that's a proper theory on getting all of it red hot. but you're only heating up the sides...the area directly where you're welding.