New Steering Wheel Install

Hello fellow Comanche addicts,

I just installed a like new steering wheel from an older jeep, and the installation was easy. I no longer get tar goo all over my clothers and hands, but the horn no longer makes proper contact to the horn trigger pin and spring. Anyone have any sage advice adjusting them?

Thanks,

Dog

I just installed a like new steering wheel from an older jeep, and the installation was easy. I no longer get tar goo all over my clothers and hands, but the horn no longer makes proper contact to the horn trigger pin and spring. Anyone have any sage advice adjusting them?

Thanks, Dog

I don't know about "sage" advice Joe but I have fought this battle a few times. First, manually ground the contact wire tip inside the spring with a screwdriver to make sure your horn actually works. Then make sure the round concave spring plate that is sandwiched between the insulators is shiny and clean where the wire contact touches. This plate is what completes the ground circuit to the ground wire inside the spring and plastic holder. Also the concave side on the plate must face outward toward the driver.

I just installed a like new steering wheel from an older jeep, and the installation was easy. I no longer get tar goo all over my clothes and hands, but the horn no longer makes proper contact to the horn trigger pin and spring. Anyone have any sage advice adjusting them?

Thanks, Dog

I don't know about "sage" advice Joe but I have fought this battle a few times. First, manually ground the contact wire tip inside the spring with a screwdriver to make sure your horn actually works. Then make sure the round concave spring plate that is sandwiched between the insulators is shiny and clean where the wire contact touches. This plate is what completes the ground circuit to the ground wire inside the spring and plastic holder. Also the concave side on the plate must face outward toward the driver.

Thanks Don,

I can actually insert a screw driver to make the horn honk by touching the top of the horn trigger, I suspect grounding the wire to the spring might be the issue. The plate that is sandwiched cannot make ground like a screw driver can. I'll give it a try!

:cheers: