overheating at idle

My MJ is over heating at idle speed or crawling thru the wood slow. No air manual fan 4.0 about a 5 year old rad from advance. Just started this and its been cool here when it was 100 in did not do it. Just a idiot light no gauge yet any ideas before I throw money at it?

If it only overheats at idle but not when rolling down the road, the thermostat isn't stuck closed. More likely the viscous fan clutch isn't spinning the primary fan fast enough. They do get tired. Overheating at idle is the classic symptom.

Is it really over heating or is it just over flowing from the pressure bottle? I know mine used to "over heat" all the time t idle untill I replaced that bottle. The old one had one or more checks in it which would release the pressure.

Brandon

Is it a closed system?

If it is, have a real close inspection of the radiator for pin hole leaks. That's all it took for my closed system to lose enough pressure to overheat when working hard or crawling but still being fine on the highway. Drove it like that for ages occasionally having to stop and let it cool a few minutes if the light came on. Wasn't until i drove in snow that I spotted a tiny tiny tiny tiny green drip in the white stuff coming from a real fine almost invisible mist spraying out a crack in a radiator seam

:wrench:

Its a closed system converted to open with a inline filler neck pressure bottle has been eliminated. The fan clutch when hot is quite free forgot to check it when cool. It should not be free when hot right?

Right.

You should be able to hear the fan working and feel lots of air movement when it's hot. You could try picking up an xj/mj electric fan from a local P&P, throw it in wired direct to the batt (with a fuse!) and see if you still get overheating

:cheers: