1989 MJ Column Shifter cable

I have a 1989 MJ with a Auto tranny. The shifter is on the column. The problem I am having is the little cable in the dash has broken that moves the indicator to show what gear its in. I try to fine a replacement, but the dealer does not have any. Does anybody know a fix for this problem and maybe I can fab. something that will work. thanks Tim

Unfortunately, most XJs had floor shifters. Finding an XJ with a column shift means finding a fleet vehicle, and those are rare.

Someone (Hornbrod, perhaps) some time ago posted a link to an aftermarket PRNDL that mounts right on the steering column. That might be the only solution.

Unfortunately, most XJs had floor shifters. Finding an XJ with a column shift means finding a fleet vehicle, and those are rare.

Someone (Hornbrod, perhaps) some time ago posted a link to an aftermarket PRNDL that mounts right on the steering column. That might be the only solution.

Thanks I keep checkIng around.

Thanks I keep checkIng around.

I would take a look at mid 80's GM cars. Isn't that where the steering column came from?

I would take a look at mid 80's GM cars. Isn't that where the steering column came from?

He's not talking about the GM shift indicator on top of the column, he's referring to the MJ-unique shift indicator in the instrument cluster. Maybe someone has one of these idiot light Renix clusters laying around that they have replaced with a full gauge cluster and will part with it. Or you can go this route:

Best be is to get one off a XJ in the Pull-a-Part. Cheap and quick.

OK not form an XJ. I need to learn to read better...

Junior (87 MJ) was a column shift at first. I may still have that cluster in the trailer, and will look for it today after work.

Best be is to get one off a XJ in the Pull-a-Part. Cheap and quick.

OK not form an XJ. I need to learn to read better...

Junior (87 MJ) was a column shift at first. I may still have that cluster in the trailer, and will look for it today after work.

He is not looking for a cluster. He is looking for the cable that connects to it.

The problem I am having is the little cable in the dash has broken that moves the indicator to show what gear its in.

He's looking for p/n 83506061, the shift indicator cable. Part of the cluster. If someone has this cluster laying around, there's a good chance the cable is still attached.

"Ah so," said the man who only owns 5-speeds.

He's looking for p/n 83506061, the shift indicator cable. Part of the cluster. If someone has this cluster laying around, there's a good chance the cable is still attached.

"Ah so," said the man who only owns 5-speeds.

Still looking. Anybody have one out there. Are know where I can fine one.

Your right thats what I am looking for.