PingPongs Cage

Ok Pat I have a few questions on your exo cage I am posting pics so you see what I am refering to. I plan to do an EXO cage and your front looks like a great option to base mine off of. Now here it goes

1: Will the same design you used on JUST the front be good enough for roll over??

2: Did you plate the unibody? And How?

3: Do the Double bars mess with your vision?

4: Can you do an In depth right up on the build of it if you remember and I'm talking every detial? (only if you think it will work for me)

5: The bar on the door....Could it be moved so my stock doors could work and still do its job?

6: how much of what kind of tubeing to do Just the front?

7: Any special stuff to consider???

Thanks for your time I just wan tot get it right and I think you have proved yourself to be one of the most techy on this stuff. Pics below

Cole

Understodd and I should have explained what I wanted to do with it. OK I am going to make a Roll bar for the rear bed area out of 2" and tie them together so it does spread the wieght I just didnt have a clue about where to start with the front to make sure I am good flopped over. I really like Pongs cage after I seen the pics of all the dif. points in it. Hopefully I can get it to work out.

Cole

Thats is what one of questions is The bar he has that blocks the doors....I was thinking of moving it so that I could CUT the corner of the door and it clear Ill do a MS Paint drawing of it just be a second....

Cole

OK here is what I thought but it may be overkill. I think it would help alot with the transfer of energy and all let me know if that looks like it would work.

EDIT::: I forgot to mention for those who don't realize The bar blocking the door would be removed.

Cole

that rearward red triangle thing is pointless. If you want to run doors still, make a B-pillar hoop just behind the cab with an X in it, then make an additional downbar on each side that is simply verticle and as close to the door as yo ucan while still allowing it to open.

Thanks for the input Brett I will take this and draw another of what you had said. I Had thought of your way at first but then I thought Triangles are stronger so why not do one there. :dunno: Well let me see what I can draw Up.

Cole

We used 2x.250 wall for my rock rails, and we did not plate the frame. we used 4 mounting plates per side to mount the rails. The reason why we didnt do anything else upfront cause the phase 3 of the build up was to narrow the front... which is going to happen on this build. Up front the bumper is used to mount and stiffen it up.

If you look at some of the other build pics you will see how we triagulated the main hoop to give it added strength.

I used about 200' of tubing to build my exo and rear half. I know that sounds like a lot, but keep in mind that yo have some cut loss on the end of bends. I know a couple of ppl who have built complete buggies with that much tube, plus some 2x4x.250.

Would I change anything.. Of course... I would have linked the rear last yr. I would have made the door bars not as tall in the door way to help with getting in and out. It is really going to be a PITA once Pong is sitting on 42's to get in and out.

Things to consider.... Type of tubing you will use, and the size.

Find out if windshield bars are legal... they are not In VA, but I thought they were needed for rollover protection. Also the type of suspension. I really wish I would have done it right last yr... Now I am having to change or re-do alot of work.

Good enough might not do it... I tried to build Pong to survive a mutiple roll, and be able to wheel after. The next phase of my build up is going to add more triangulation, and remove more of the factory stuff. I am even considring building an interior cage so i can have a drivers "capsule" to survive the catastrophic roll... you know the mutiple endo and barrel roll combo :eek:

As far as your design goes... There are programs out there that can simulate forces and it can give you an idea on what can happen.

As far as your design goes... There are programs out there that can simulate forces and it can give you an idea on what can happen.

Isn't there a program called BendTech Pro or something like that? I've seen prerunner guys use it, and it looks priceless.

I dunno that there's a good proggy to do that, but I'd not be too worried.

If you actually want lots of feedback or exo ideas, I'd talk to the 'yota guys. I know their brains have been warped by trying to break the 100HP envelope with their 22Rs, but they still know how to build a cage.

Sometimes. But yeah, the trucks are similarily shaped and dimensioned.