opinions?

i recently had to replace my thermostat housing and i didnt have a new thermostat to put in.

therefore, i took it out, leaving it out.

i see that the engines running very cool....around 120 or less......

i see i have less heat than usual also

my question is, will this hurt my engine if i leave it?

thanks,

Paul

The reason why thermostats are in an engine is because it has an optimal running temperature. You WANT your engine to heat up quick, which is why the thermostat is there, because, again, the engine performs optimally at a certain temperature, which is controlled by the thermostat. I'd put one back in quick..

Running an engine to cool will hurt it, jeeps normally stock run a 195 degree thermostat at least my wrangler 4.0 does. I dropped in a 180 degree which just slight brings it off the 210 temp it normally runs giving me a little piece of mind. When I really work the motor it will still get to 210 but drop back off when I'm done. I like running the jeep a little cooler then 210 but I'm not making a big jump from stock.

i recently had to replace my thermostat housing and i didnt have a new thermostat to put in.

therefore, i took it out, leaving it out.

i see that the engines running very cool....around 120 or less......

i see i have less heat than usual also

my question is, will this hurt my engine if i leave it?

thanks,

Paul

Yep.

If the engine can't get up to an operating temperature of at least 165 to 170 degrees, the ECU will never switch out of "open loop" (or warm-up) mode. That means you will ALWAYS be running based on a hard-coded, overly-rich fuel mixture. Your fuel economy will suck, and you may end up fouling the catalytic converter due to excess unburned hydrocarbons.

If the engine can't get up to an operating temperature of at least 165 to 170 degrees, the ECU will never switch out of "open loop" (or warm-up) mode. That means you will ALWAYS be running based on a hard-coded, overly-rich fuel mixture. Your fuel economy will suck, and you may end up fouling the catalytic converter due to excess unburned hydrocarbons.

Not true for HOs. If you have an A/F meter installed it's easy to see. After about two minutes max of idling even on the coldest mornings you can see the switch from open to closed loop on the meter. And the dash temp gauge had barely moved. These meters are wired directly to the O2 sensor output (both the wide and narrow band meters) and the O2 sensor doesn't operate until the ECU sees closed loop operation. I have an A/F meter on my 91, and also had one on my previous 96 and 01 XJs. They were all the same.

This is not to say I recommend a lower temp thermostat (or no thermostat) than the factory 195* at all. 200*-215* is the most efficient operating range for the 4.0s and they should all have the 195* stat to maintain that operating temp.