Rims/tires/lift for this build

So still planning out what I am going to do to Comanche. The 4x4/manual conversion is on the back burner for the moment as money and experience are currently lacking. Looking into doing tires and suspension first.

Truck is 89, auto, 2wd, short box. Engine is renix 2.5, tranny is aw4 with 4/56 gear ratios I believe. I'm gonna confirm this though when my truck is outta the shop this weekend.

I would like to get the tougher look of a knobbier tire as well as a bit of a lift perhaps to get away from the total stock look. This would not just be for looks though as I camp and spend lots of time in the back country. The clearance and traction gain is important.

On the other hand gas millage is important as this is a daily driver with relatively short commute.

I like the look of 31-32" tires ... I like the look of a 3" lift but am not sure if it would look goofy with the smaller tires. I am leaning towards the older style broad 5 spoke rims. What set up would you guys recommend for this application? How much will the bigger tires affect the gas millage roughly? Thanks, Ryan.

I

I would do:

-31" recapped mud terrains (or used MTs)

-stock jeep rims (not necessarily the ones on my jeep, but Jeep rims none the less)

-1.5 or 2" pucks up front

-extended chevy shackle in the rear.

-WJ lower control arms

I like the look of 31-32" tires ... I like the look of a 3" lift but am not sure if it would look goofy with the smaller tires. I am leaning towards the older style broad 5 spoke rims. What set up would you guys recommend for this application? How much will the bigger tires affect the gas millage roughly? Thanks, Ryan.

3" and 31s will look nice,I ran that combo on my XJ and it looked great.

As for looking goofy with small tires I ran 31s for a while on my MJ when I had a 5" lift and they didn't look too bad.

With that combo a 2.5l 4spd and 3.55 gears I was getting 18mpg

Awesome guys. Thanks for the input. I get my truck back back tomorrow and I'll pay that bill. Then I'm gonna look at some upgrades. I would love to start a thread for this build but not sure how to upload pics. Do you guys use a site to host images? Be nice if it's free. Ps like the pics! I'm going for similar. Gonna check the junk yard and craigslist over thenext while, see what I can find.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so I ended up going with Eagles suggestion and put 30X9.5" tires (Cooper A/T discoverer tires) on these stock jeep rims. I like the set up, looks and feels great.

26103-1512-rim-silver.jpg

So next I am going to do some work on the suspension to get it ready for next years camping. I think the shock absorbers that are on it already are shot because when I go over bigger speed bumps or curbs you can hear a metalic rubbing which I assume is the absorber compressing then springing back.

I want the truck to handle the bumps pot holes and washouts "softly" that I encounter on the rough logging roads I frequent. I would like the suspension to have decent flex to it as well as some of the beach area's and trails require the truck to go over small to medium sized obsticles like rocks and logs. Nothing to extreme. I am thinking I would like to have a lift of either 2 or 3 inchs.

Money is a moderate concern... If I need to save up a while so be it. I have been looking at old man emu lifts, they seem solid. But I would love some input from you guys think would good for this.

Pete M recomended

-1.5 or 2" pucks up front

-extended chevy shackle in the rear.

-WJ lower control arms

Would this combined with new shock absorbers give me the performance I'm looking to get? Thanks, Ryan