Intermittent steering creak?

Hey All,

I noticed today, my steering is making some creaking noise. Only happens when I turn the wheel toward the left, and back to center. I jacked up the drivers side checked the drivers side wheel for play in all directions (none) and while up in the air, the noise went away. I put it back down on the ground, and the noise was faint. came out a couple hours later....no noise!!?! Anything in particular to look at/for? I know there is some slop in the steering box, but nothing else stuck out. I have not jacked up the passenger side to assess that side yet.

-E.

Ok, I checked the track bar, no play at all. I did find movement at the joint between the tie rod, and the drag link, but only up and down and not "loose" (which if I'm correct, this is normal function. I'm pretty sure this thing has not had a chassis lube in a while, so I'm buying a grease gun tomorrow. Also, the passenger side lug nuts were not snug....

Jeff,

I think you are on the right track. I shot a few dry looking things with wd40 last night (no grease gun yet) and the noise is gone. I'm picking up a grease gun this morning and going to do a chassis lube.

Are the ball joints serviceable? I did not see grease fittings on them.

Gremlin found. Steering box bolts are loose. Now I just gotta figure out how to get to it without taking everything apart. The squeak turned into a clunk, and I got under there again, you can now see the box moving when you turn the wheel. yay.

Grr...Gah!!! I spoke too soon....The creak has turned into a "clunk" I tightened up the steering box (top bolt was loose) and no change. I did a chassis lube to everything I could find with a grease fitting on the front end, no change. I am officially stumped. When I'm in the truck with it running, if I make a hard left you can hear it clunk inside the cab, and feel it in the steering wheel....Where else to look?!? I give up for the night.

-E.

When you checked the track bar, was the truck raised or on the ground?

When this happened to me, I was hearing/feeling a "SNAP" that sounded for

all the world like a cracked frame. Rather alarming. With the truck on

the ground, and my 230lb 6'4" son sawing the wheel HARD from side to

side, motion was visually almost indetectable but the noise was pinpointed

to the track bar mount at the frame. Poorly tightened nut (at a shop)

led to an elongated hole. It was obvious after pulling the bar. Suggest

you borrow my son (or equivalent) and check one more time to see if

you can locate the source of the noise. If you can hear it in the cab,

should be able to find it from below.

Hey Guys,

I crawled under it this AM. Wife at the wheel (she's a strong girl) and had her crank the wheel. The tie rod at the end of the pitman arm that connects to the tie rod you can physically see popping up and down, and making faint clunk.

-E.

It sure isn't getting better... I always try to order the parts online and pick up in store.

Be sure to use the TRE pulled. Will make your life much easier. And remember, the drag link does not alter the toe only your steering wheel center.

OK, I managed to get it changed out!!! Whoo Hoo! (there are days I understand why mechanics get paid to beat their bodies up) Anyway....It is noticeably better, but there is still a slight clunking noise. It was hard to tell if the pitman arm hole is out of round, but the new DLE snugged up nice and tight. I did not see any other problems, and from a visual of turning the wheels, there is not much "slop" in the steering box? Is there a better way to check the outer tie rod ends than the classic wheel wiggle?

-E.

p.s.- I at least FEEL safer going down the road. :D

Edit: I will re-check the track bar as soon as I get a helper....

Hey Guys....OK...wife in the drivers seat again. I can only get it to clunk when the engine is running and tires on the ground. (the wheel will not turn enough with engine off to make it clunk) I put on gloves, and physically grabbed each ball joint, Tie rod end, track bar ends, steering box....and the only click/clunk I could actually FEEL was coming from the drivers side track bar mount.....This is the only problem I could detect by feel. The nut/bolt on top was not moving but you could feel it click when the wheel turned. I guess I'm picking up a track bar soon. (as soon as funds allow.) Thanks to Eagle for the tips on how to do it.

-E.

p.s.- Why does the "ball end" of the track bar not have a grease fitting on it?!?!

EDIT: Why can I only feel the "clunk" at the track bar end, but the noise is pronounced at the steering wheel (the only place I can actually hear it)??? (my very first thought was the steering column, but its not loose inside the cab....)

When I had a clunk in my '87, it was usually when making a low-speed, sharp turn. It would not reproduce when doing all the standing tests on TREs, etc. I could hear it, but it didn't resonate through the steering wheel. It felt like it was under my foot.

Which it was. Replaced the driver's side LCA ==> no more clunk.