Intermittent steering creak?

I've been struggling with this too, so let me give you my two cents worth. Had a steering clunk, a loud one, for years, when turning while still or at low speeds. Unrelated to that, I've replaced all the ball joints, tie rod, TRE's, steering damper for good maintenance, and the shocks/springs for lift.

This past weekend, I finally replaced the adjustable track bar with TRE fitting with a new IRO trackbar and the drop-mount, which eliminates the noisy TRE, which wears out and binds pretty quickly, I found.

HOWEVER, I still have a very slight low-speed clunk. Much better than the big clunk from before :fs1: .

My next front end project is a ZJ steering box. I'm curious to see if the unibody is cracked where the steering box mounts up. We'll see. If not, I may be replacing the control arms, or at least the bushings.

Thats where I'm stumped. I do NOT feel it in the floorboards or foot pedals. I can hear it in the steering column, but not feel it in the column. I can't hear it outside/underneath, and the only thing that seemed to have any "clunk" in it underneath was the track bar.

I'm not familiar with the steering shaft collar, is that the collar that goes through the firewall? I'm really not wanting to just continue to throw money at worn parts if they are not completely defective....I'll look into the steering shaft. Thanks for the input guys. :hmm:

-E.

Edit: The sound is most prevallent just behind the steering wheel inside the cab....and I cannot reproduce the sound with the engine off. It seems like its only at low speed, and on the outer limits of turning the steering wheel, mostly toward the drivers side. Id hate to replace the track bar, which may well be worn, and have it not be the issue.....

will do. Currently having trouble getting my mechanic buddy over to crawl underneath. I also found my pass side hub is slightly loose.

-E.

p.s.- I'm still interested in answers as to why I can only hear the clunk inside the cab at the steering wheel....as in, should I be looking at the inside steering column?

OK, doing this from memory.

Get under the hood on the driver's side. Follow the steering shaft towards the front of the truck. There will be a U joint 2/3 of the way down, that has a bolt holding it together....make sure that's tight. Where the shaft slides onto the steering box, there's a collar there, with a bolt in it...make sure that's snug, too.

It may vary from my description, but generally make sure the shaft and components look ok.

Hey....I think I know exactly what it is now. Its at the end of the shaft right at the steering box connection. I'll check it out. I had the truck in today to get my rear pinion seal done, and without looking at it, the first thing the mechanic said was "track bar" so, I guess I should replace it (they are pretty trustworthy...one of the last places)

• 3 weeks later...

Still have not "solved" this issue....have not had time yet, or funds. My plan is to buy a new Trac bar, and find a newer steering linkage/gear at the JY. (both recommendations from my buddy.

Eagle: IF you read this, how do I "test" the lower control arms for noise/movement?

• 3 months later...

The on-going saga...Of course, it got cold fairly quickly here shortly after this post. I got a semi-warm day, and checked the track bar frame mount bolts...they are TIGHT! My next guess is the track bar itself....I'm also going to have another look at the steering linkage down to the steering gear box. (although, last time I felt around in there, it did not feel like it was clunking at all when the noise is present.) Time to order a track bar I guess....

-E.

is your truck lifted at all/big tires? i have somewhat of the same issue since i got my truck. it clunks/pops on low speed turns but i can feal mine mostly thru the floor. ive put in a different suspension system/steering/trackbar (because i wanted to, not cause I'm chasing the noise) and i still have the damn noise. have you had somebody turn the wheel back and forth while you use a metal rod/your hand to maybe find the noise in the unibody?

try checking the bolts that hold the motor mount bracket to the unibody. yesterday had the neighbor turn the wheel back and forth with the rig running and i could see a slight gap between the rail when the wheel was turned passanger side. tightened up both bolts, no more noise

• 8 months later...

Ok...A long overdue update.....I was changing the starter today. (a long time from this post!) and happened to notice a bolt laying in the driveway. Looked up to find the bolt holds the transmission to the crossmember. I did not get a lot of drive time after re-installation, but I noticed a lack of a clunk when turning the hard corner into my driveway....