Rubicon Long Arm install ???

I bought a new, unused XJ Rubicon longarm kit, and was wondering why RE would say it won't fit?? The kit uses the bolt holes for the transmission crossmember to bolt the control arm brackets to, and then the skidplate bolts to the brackets/transmission mount, and then the skid/control arm brackets bolt to braces that mount from the uniframe to the pinch weld using nutstrips. I was under the impression that the basic architecture of the frame up to the crossmember was the same, any thoughts??

When I ordered my Rock Crawler XJ long arm upgrade they said it may not fit. They had me measure from the drivers side lower control arm bolt at the frame back to the first crossmember bolt. My measurement was 18". Apparently that was the magic number because the kit is being shipped right now. I have a 4.0,AW4,231 combo in my MJ.

If I had to guess I would say it's the BA10 that these XJ kits won't fit on just like Oizarod115 said.

Under $400 shipped to my door mainly. Nobody else can touch that price for long arms. TNT is close to a grand. Clayton is badass (had it on my TJ) but too much too. Rusty's is junk and overpriced. That leaves RK. I've got some buddies with RK long arms. I've used their track bars and steering before (getting both for the MJ too). Their stuff is way beefy and perfect for what I am doing. Their lower arms now have a bend in them for clearance like the TNT arms. For the price... their isn't anything else out there that even comes close. I can't even build it that cheap. Check out NAXJA and read some of the reviews people are giving the XJ long arm. Nobody is having any troubles. That and if you break or bend anything on it... RK will replace it no questions asked. Give DC4WD a call for a good price on it.

also depending on how it mounts... you might have to cut the cab mount to install the bracket. I know I had to to install my LA's

Ding, Ding, thats it!! I started to test fit the brackets together, and I see two SMALL interferance points. Number one, I have to notch the cab mounts (slot just beside the frame) so that the brackets will slide up against the frame fully, no biggy, and number two the brackets go past the point where the frame starts to bend outwards, still doesnt look like its going to be any problem, if it is, Ill trim the aft end of the bracket with a band saw. Ill post some pics. Boy does this kit look beefy............I love internet disinformation, I NEVER would have bought this kit because of all the negative internet hype, I am VERY impressed with the design of this kit. I hate listening to all the self proclaimed internet 4x4 engineers, who never have laid eyes on the product before, just regurgitating the information theyve heard before................. :bowdown:

RE makes top notch stuff. I've always been impressed with their long arms. Unfortunately the RE stuff is out of my price range too. I helped a buddy put that exact kit on his XJ. I also Did a Full Traction long arm setup on a TJ. There stuff is real nice too. Their is definately more good companies producing stuff than bad ones.

My theory (and why I buy what I do) is.... take everything people say in the forums with a grain of salt. Try and get as close to as many different kits as you can and just buy what you want. Make a decision based on what you want and screw all the people who web wheel and say it's junk. If I believed everything I read I would never had tried RK's products. But I did and I'm happy about them.

When I hear about a failure on a particular brand of kit, 9 times out of 10, it's due to owner or installer error (not getting things tight, or not checking brackets, bolt torque, etc. Somebody says "my front end flew apart on the highway" then you look at pictures and the guy's lower control arm mounts on his axle have huge cracks and let go.

It all goes back to you can't believe everything you read.

I don't know why I'm rambling all over this guy's thread. Sorry... and congrats on getting the manche hooked up with a sweet long arm suspension! Be sure and post some pics! :cheers:

Nope, youre not rambling, not to worry! I wouldnt have run it because of cost, but got a deal!! Like I said, Ill post up some pics, gotta remedy a situatuion with the upper control arms (looks like they were never put in the box by RE, and they won't do anything for the seller that I purchased this from because they expect missing parts to be reported within 5 days of shipping arrival, and the customer had the kit, albeit unopened, for almost a year. Sooooooooo, gotta remedy some missing upper control arms..................Ill start by installing the crossmember while I'm waiting!!! Pics to come jamminz.gif

When I did my LA install I went with Terra flexes upgrade kit... every one bashed it cause of its design and the fact that it is a parrallel 4 link setup, and not a radias arm style. Granted it might not droop as well, but it flexes well for what it is.

I did a lot of experimenting on my rig while building it. PPl who have been coming around MJ boards know this. I have run a few different setups, and have always given an unbias experience based review.

I still say RE DB's are the way to go unless you build a full out custom 4 link. By the DB's a coil of your choice along with RE's HD trac bar set up, add a set of DT 3000 shocks, and a set of chevy drop shackles to the rear, and you are golden. I ran this setup with Rusty's 6.5 coils, and loved it

• 3 weeks later...

Got a really good start on the long arm kit today. Thank god for plasma, had to trim a bit off the ends of the control arm brackets where the MJ frame splays outwards (as opposed to the XJ), but man.................this kit is VERY time consuming. I spent the better part of 7 hrs mounting the control arm brackets. Had to modify the nut strips that bolt the control arm brackets to the inner framerail pinchwelds (5 on each side), they were WAY too wide, shaved at least a quarter inch off the entire length of the nutstrip in order for them to fit. It gets kinda involved with test fitting that big freakin crossmember all the time to make sure it integrates with the control arm mounts properly. I hope to finish it this coming weekend. Pics to come then!