A few questions on MJ conversions

Hey, I am trying to plan out the work I am going to do to my 1989, Rwd, auto, 2.5L Comanche over the next year or so. I have a few questions I'm trying to find answers for before I drop a bunch of cash. Any answers you guys can give are much apreciated.

Question one: Is it possible to convert my auto to manual? I would love to put an AX-15 in the truck. Is it compatable with the 2.5L Renix engine? If it is possible would this be a hard conversion?

Question two: Eventually I would like to do a 4X4 conversion from a Cherokee. How would the combination of a 5 speed manual, 4X4, with the 2.5L engine perform? This build is going to be for comuting and camping. I live about an hour and a half from the mountains I frequent so gas milage is a concern. This I why I am leaning towards keeping the 2.5L. The truck is not going to be mudding or doing any serious off roading. Mostly logging roads, sand beach's, and light trails. The truck will have no bigger than 30" tires, perhaps a 3" lift at some point. Is this a viable build to go for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Thanks MVUSSE. From what I can gather the AW4 and AW5 transmissions were not the strongest. Are they worth putting in? is there any other alternative transmission that will fit?

Welcome to the club! And thats AX4 and AX5. The AW4 is an automatic. The AX4 and AX5 do just fine behind the 2.5 and will be just fine with 30 inch tires. It will be difficult to locate the bellhousing needed to fit an AX15 to the 2.5. For your needs the AX5 will be just fine and much easier to find and install. They were readilly available in MJ's, XJ's, YJ's, and TJ's with the 2.5. Good luck!

Awesome. thanks man. Will there be a hole already in the floor to fit in the manual shifter box or will I have to cut out the floor? If that makes sense. I tried to find a thread about this conversion on here but had no luck. If anyone has a link they can provide would great. Thanks.

Awesome. thanks man. Will there be a hole already in the floor to fit in the manual shifter box or will I have to cut out the floor? If that makes sense. I tried to find a thread about this conversion on here but had no luck. If anyone has a link they can provide would great. Thanks.

Every XJ/MJ came with both the shifter hole and the 4wd lever hole already cut out. If they were unused, they were simply plated off.

Hey, I am trying to plan out the work I am going to do to my 1989, Rwd, auto, 2.5L Comanche over the next year or so. I have a few questions I'm trying to find answers for before I drop a bunch of cash. Any answers you guys can give are much apreciated.

Question one: Is it possible to convert my auto to manual? I would love to put an AX-15 in the truck. Is it compatable with the 2.5L Renix engine? If it is possible would this be a hard conversion?

Question two: Eventually I would like to do a 4X4 conversion from a Cherokee. How would the combination of a 5 speed manual, 4X4, with the 2.5L engine perform? This build is going to be for comuting and camping. I live about an hour and a half from the mountains I frequent so gas milage is a concern. This I why I am leaning towards keeping the 2.5L. The truck is not going to be mudding or doing any serious off roading. Mostly logging roads, sand beach's, and light trails. The truck will have no bigger than 30" tires, perhaps a 3" lift at some point. Is this a viable build to go for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

30's will fit with stock height. 30"s and a 3" lift will look kind of silly. Get some 35"s. :brows:

I know I know. Trust me it's been a really hard choice with this build I'm hoping to do. I really would like to put a 4.0 liter, 35's, lift, and a ax-15 into her. Considering I am buying a new engine and throwing in a new transmission soon enough, similar prices to the 2.5L and ax5 I'm planning on putting in... The big determining factor for me is the gas milage. This will be a daily driver comuter. Also the places I camp and fish are quite a ways away, hour and a half. We pay huge tax on gas here so fuel is expensive. I know the day will come soon enough that I wish I went bigger, but until then. Gonna go with the plans I have.