4WD, Auto, 4.0 swap..complete change

Alright, I'm getting an 87 MJ that is a 4cyl/5sp/2wd... I want the exact opposite 4.0HO/Auto/4wd and i will be doing the swap.

I pretty much have an open jeep parts yard, and the parts are out of 50 different XJ's/and a few Wranglers...

Basically, what are the EASIEST parts to do this swap? Like, years/models/codes/whatever. I have a huge selection, but not one single donor vehicle. :dunno:

Thoughts? Info?

THANKS!!!

Please forgive me if this comes across as unhelpful (or worse), but, unless you've got

an abundance of time, and a big thirst for the large project, it may be far simpler to

just find the truck you prefer to have. I think there are still enough to choose from that

meet your criteria.

It can be done. If you can devote 8-10 hours a day you can probably finish in a week, 10 days. Every part you mentioned can be swapped. Biggest problem will be rear drive shaft. Only a MJ drive shaft will fit and they come in 2 sizes. SWB and LWB. A XJ drive shaft can be cut and welded to fit. Think of it as a learning experience. Must agree with PP. Might be easier to find the vehicle you want and sell or swap yours.

Easiest way to deal with the rear driveshaft is to have your 2wd one cut down to the correct length. I paid $102 for mine, and it included the cut, balance, paint, and two new spicer U-joints installed.

It's going to be a pain to get all of the parts separately. If you can find yourself a junked XJ that has a 4.0/auto/4wd, and just get the whole truck, it will make your job 1000% easier.

It's going to be a pain to get all of the parts separately. If you can find yourself a junked XJ that has a 4.0/auto/4wd, and just get the whole truck, it will make your job 1000% easier.
Why do you say that? I literally have a jeep graveyard of sorts with 50 or so XJ's parted out -properly- in it.

It can be done. If you can devote 8-10 hours a day you can probably finish in a week, 10 days.

Finding the parts in a junkyard is the easy part. Putting in the work is the hard part.

Hopefully you have a fully equipped shop and not a gravel driveway >>(like me).

Sounds like you have your choice of donors, I would go for a mid-nineties XJ. In addition to the obvious parts, you will need to grab the radiator, frame brackets for the engine and the trans crossmember. Your biggest issues aside from a rear drive-shaft will be broken bolts, welding new perches on the rear axle and a fuel pump.