242 tc on ax15 and 231 tc 21 spline to 23 help

one of the only things i need to get my jeep going is the transfer case and the tranny mount my questions are:

has any one put a 242 transfer case on an ax15 transmission? and how did you run the linkage? did you need to change the drive shaft length?

and

could i change the input gear in a 1988 231tc from a 21 spline to a 23 spline that will work with my ax15

thanks

you will just need the np231 ax15 shift linkage, and an np242 shift lever to accomplish the 242 swap. the linkage is different between ax15, ba10/5, and aw4 auto...but the same for both tcases. the shift gate on the shift handle is the actual difference, but you have to remove the entire shift handle assembly to get the shift gate off of it anyways.

and yeah, you could swap an early 23 spline np231 input into your tcase. the gear cut is the same up to 94 or 95.

you will just need the np231 ax15 shift linkage, and an np242 shift lever to accomplish the 242 swap. the linkage is different between ax15, ba10/5, and aw4 auto...but the same for both tcases. the shift gate on the shift handle is the actual difference, but you have to remove the entire shift handle assembly to get the shift gate off of it anyways.

and yeah, you could swap an early 23 spline np231 input into your tcase. the gear cut is the same up to 94 or 95.

Not to hijack, but how about a 242 behind an AX5? Is that doable?

Not to hijack, but how about a 242 behind an AX5? Is that doable?

yeah, it's doable.

the output housing on the ax5 had two variances, though...short input or long input shaft on the tcase. you could run a renix era (87-90) np242 from behind an aw4, so long as you have the short input shaft output housing on the ax5. this affects the output seal depth on the transmission, and without the input shaft being long enough to ride on that seal, you will lose all trans fluid in a matter of minutes while driving.

there doesn't seem to be any clear set of rules as to which year ax5's used the short input style output housing, at least until the MPFI 4 cylinders were introduced in 1991.

shift linkage for that would be the ax5 shift linkage, but you'd have to adjust it appropriately (there is an adjuster on the shift rods)

so the linkage is different from a BA-10 to AX-15?

and parts to get for 242 swap would be:

242 TC

AX-15 4x4 linkage

242 shift gate

anything i am missing?

so the linkage is different from a BA-10 to AX-15?

and parts to get for 242 swap would be:

242 TC

AX-15 4x4 linkage

242 shift gate

anything i am missing?

nope, you've got it all right there. and yes, the ba10/5 linkage is different. the shifter to pivot is a different length, and the pivot to tcase is too short to be applied to an ax15.

You can get creative with your linkage to make it work

A while back, dakal did a nice write up on a ridiculously easy linkage setup. He used simple hardware store parts, used the stock handle, and it's adjustable too.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14975&p=152702&hilit

...I bought hardened 1/4/28 atr x 3' allthread, two nuts and two 1/4 " yoke ends, two clevis pins, and two hairpin cotters the total cost for these items, $14.87. :banana: