Eliminating Built-in Radiator Tranny Cooler?

Today while cruising around town, the AW4 tranny coolant line quick-connector popped off the lower radiator port and before I could get it off the road into a parking lot I had dumped four quarts of transmission fluid. What a freaking mess! The AW4 coolant return line is plumbed through the stock factory cooler (like below) then through the built-in radiator tranny cooler.

To eliminate two of these pesky quick-connectors I want to disconnect the radiator tranny cooler altogether and just use the stock aux cooler mounted out front of the A/C condenser for cooling the transmission by itself. My questions to those who have done this (if anyone) are:

1. Will the OEM stock tranny cooler like below be enough to keep the AW4 cool by itself? and

2. Do I need to cap off the built-in radiator transmission cooler ports after they are bypassed? Don't think so but I want to be sure. and

3. Will eliminating the hot transmission fluid flow through the radiator do anything to lower engine temps?

I live in a fairly warm climate (N. Alabama) where the temps rarely get below freezing. I'm thinking I don't need the radiator tranny cooler, si?

j311101_1.jpg

When I did it, I ran the same stock cooler and removed the radiator one from the equation. end result was overall temp drop of a few degrees, including the engine. It was will worth it but I suggest contacting auto meter and getting their trans temp gauge and sending unit, plumbing it in line on the sending line, and calling it a day. I've seen people put two sensors in line on a toggle switch, one after the cooler, to figure out their overall efficiency.

I have never liked the the in radiator tranny coolers and always try to bypass them when possible . You don't need to plug the ports when your done but can if you want to , just flush them out with some break clean to keep the residual from making a mess .I also like to use 3/8 brake line and bend it nice and neat and use some short pieces of hose to connect to the cooler , but that's usually with aftermarket coolers . As for the 4.0 setup I'm not sure what the stock setup is like as I don't have one but the process is similar .

I don't like them either - just another point of failure waiting to happen. Wait - it DID happen. :( I'm just concerned if the smallish factory cooler will be enough by itself to keep the tranny cool. Sure, I could add a bigger cooler, but then you block air flow thru the radiator even more. Guess I'll have to put a temp gauge on it to see.......

:doh: should of read your post more thoroughly. mine is still connected to the radiator. those things are pretty small so i don't know if it would keep it cool by its self. seems like it could but i wouldnt place a lot on that. try it and let us know how the next tranny install goes :D

Got her all back together with no more leaks, runs, or errors. Replaced the tranny coolant lines and all associated connectors. Retained both the radiator oil cooler and the aux cooler. Then cleaned up the mess underneath and in the engine bay. Looks like new now. :D

BTW, I highly recommend douching down the steering and suspension components using this method. When the quick connector parted, ATF spraying all around under there soaked into every nook and cranny and lubricated everything so well I have no more front end squeaks or noises. Also got a partial ATF fluid change at the same time. Win-win! :cheers: